Unionization and Informal Economy
In this paper I investigate the relationship between unionization and the size of the informal economy. Using a cross-country panel data for 30 countries over the period from 1960 to 2009, I find a strong and robust negative correlation between unionization and the size of the informal economy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Natuk Birkan Hall, Bebek, 34342 İstanbul|
Phone: +90 (212) 359-6505
Fax: +90 (212) 287-2453
Web page: http://www.econ.boun.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dr Alex Bryson, 2010.
"Slip Sliding Away: Further Union Decline in Germany and Britain,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
350, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- John T. Addison & Alex Bryson & Paulino Teixeira & André Pahnke, 2011. "Slip Sliding Away: Further Union Decline In Germany And Britain," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(4), pages 490-518, 09.
- Addison, John T. & Bryson, Alex & Teixeira, Paulino & Pahnke, André, 2010. "Slip Sliding Away: Further Union Decline in Germany and Britain," IZA Discussion Papers 4760, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Alex Bryson & Paulino Teixeira & André Pahnke, 2010. "Slip Sliding Away: Further Union Decline in Germany and Britain," GEMF Working Papers 2010-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- John T. Addison & Alex Bryson & Paulino Teixeira & André Pahnke, 2010. "Slip sliding away: further union decline in Germany and Britain," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 27775, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- John T. Addison & Alex Bryson & André Pahnke & Paulino Teixeira, 2010. "Slip Sliding Away: Further Union Decline in Germany and Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0971, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- John DiNardo & David S. Lee, 2002. "The Impact of Unionization on Establishment Closure: A Regression Discontinuity Analysis of Representation Elections," NBER Working Papers 8993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ihrig, Jane & Moe, Karine S., 2004. "Lurking in the shadows: the informal sector and government policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 541-557, April.
- Francisco Carneiro & Andrew Henley, 1998. "Wage determination in Brazil: The growth of union bargaining power and informal employment," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 117-138.
- Ceyhun Elgin & Oguz Oztunali, 2012. "Shadow Economies around the World: Model Based Estimates," Working Papers 2012/05, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mukhopadhyay, Ujjaini, 2009. "Revisiting the Informal Sector: A General Equilibrium Approach," MPRA Paper 52135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elisabetta Magnani & David Prentice, 2000.
"Did Globalization Reduce Unionisation? Evidence from U.S. Manufacturing,"
2000.17, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Magnani, Elisabetta & Prentice, David, 2003. "Did globalization reduce unionization? Evidence from US manufacturing," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 705-726, December.
- Andreas Buehn & Friedrich Schneider, 2012. "Shadow economies around the world: novel insights, accepted knowledge, and new estimates," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 139-171, February.
- Zenou, Yves, 2008. "Job search and mobility in developing countries. Theory and policy implications," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 336-355, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bou:wpaper:2012/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lutfu Gozgucu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.