Does the Support of Innovative Clusters Sustainably Foster R&D Activity? Evidence from the German BioRegio and BioProfile Contests
In this paper, we evaluate the R&D enhancing effects of two large public grant schemes aiming at encouraging the performance of firms organized in clusters. These are Germany's well known BioRegio and BioProfile contests for which we compare the research performance of winning regions in contrast with non-winning and non-participating comparison regions. We apply Difference-in-Difference estimation techniques in a generalized linear model framework, which allows to control for different initial regional conditions in the biotechnology related R&D activity. Our econometric findings support the view that winners generally outperform non-winning participants during the treatment period, thus indicating that exclusive funding as well as the stimulating effect of being a “winner" seems to work in the short-term. In contrast, no indirect impacts stemming from a potential mobilizing effect of the contest approaches have been detected. Also, we find only limited evidence for long-term effects of public R&D grants in the post-treatment period. The results of our analysis remain stable if we additionally augment the model to account for the particular role of spatial dependence in the R&D outcome variables.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MARTIN, Philippe & MAYER, Thierry & MAYNERIS, Florian, .
"Public support to clusters. A firm level study of French "Local Productive Systems","
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2287, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2011. "Public support to clusters: A firm level study of French "Local Productive Systems"," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 108-123, March.
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2008. "Public Support to Clusters: A Firm Level Study of French “Local Productive Systems”," CEPR Discussion Papers 7102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer & Florian Mayneris, 2008. "Public support to clusters : a firm level study of French 'local productive systems'," Sciences Po publications 7102, Sciences Po.
- Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer & Florian Mayneris, 2011. "Public support to clusters. A firm level study of french 'local productive systems'," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan & Kipar, Stefan, 2010.
"Industrial innovation: Direct evidence from a cluster-oriented policy,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20542, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan & Kipar, Stefan, 2010. "Industrial innovation: Direct evidence from a cluster-oriented policy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 574-582, November.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Dohse, Dirk, 2000. "Technology policy and the regions -- the case of the BioRegio contest," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1111-1133, December.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Patuelli, Roberto & Grimpe, Christoph, 2008.
"Knowledge Production in Nanomaterials: An Application of Spatial Filtering to Regional Systems of Innovation,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-064, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christoph Grimpe & Roberto Patuelli, 2011. "Regional knowledge production in nanomaterials: a spatial filtering approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 519-541, June.
- Christoph Grimpe & Roberto Patuelli, 2008. "Knowledge Production in Nanomaterials : An Application of Spatial Filtering to Regional Systems of Innovation," Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano 0806, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Christoph Grimpe & Roberto Patuelli, 2008. "Regional Knowledge Production in Nanomaterials: A Spatial Filtering Approach," Working Paper Series 29-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Apr 2009.
- Dirk Engel & Oliver Heneric, 2005. "Biotechnologie-Gründungen im Ruhrgebiet – Eine vergleichende Analyse," RWI Materialien, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, pages 33, December.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Bernd Ebersberger & Andreas Fier, 2007. "The relationship between R&D collaboration, subsidies and R&D performance: Empirical evidence from Finland and Germany," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1347-1366.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila & Acs, Zoltan, 1997. "Local Geographic Spillovers between University Research and High Technology Innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 422-448, November.
- Baptista, Rui, 2000. "Do innovations diffuse faster within geographical clusters?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 515-535, April.
- Dauth, Wolfgang, 2010. "Agglomeration and regional employment growth," IAB Discussion Paper 201007, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Wagner, Alfred, 1891.
"Marshall's Principles of Economics,"
History of Economic Thought Articles,
McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 5, pages 319-338.
- Björn Alecke & Christoph Alsleben & Frank Scharr & Gerhard Untiedt, 2006. "Are there really high-tech clusters? The geographic concentration of German manufacturing industries and its determinants," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 19-42, March.
- Dirk Fornahl & Tom Broekel & Ron Boschma, 2011.
"What drives patent performance of German biotech firms? The impact of R&D subsidies, knowledge networks and their location,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(2), pages 395-418, 06.
- Dirk Fornahl & Tom Broekel & Ron Boschma, 2010. "What drives patent performance of German biotech firms? The impact of R&D subsidies, knowledge networks and their location," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1009, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2010.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby, 2006. "Movement of Star Scientists and Engineers and High-Tech Firm Entry," NBER Working Papers 12172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baptista, Rui & Swann, Peter, 1998. "Do firms in clusters innovate more?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 525-540, September.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp744. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.