Financial crises and monetary expansion
On the basis of data from the Historical Monetary Statistics-project by Norges Bank, the present paper serves a threefold purpose. In the first place it gives an overview of financial crisis in Norway from her independence from Denmark in 1814 till present times. Secondly, historical business cycles are mapped and we conclude that the major financial crises were mirrored in significant slumps in the real economy. Thirdly, the paper investigates credit and monetary developments, and concludes that the major financial crises in Norway typically took place after substantial money and credit expansion causing overheating and bubbles to the economy.
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +47 22 31 60 00
Fax: +47 22 41 31 05
Web page: http://www.norges-bank.no/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond W. Goldsmith, 1982. "The National Balance Sheet of the United States for 1975," NBER Chapters, in: The National Balance Sheet of the United States, 1953–1980, pages 41-56 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Joseph H., 2006. "An Improved Annual Chronology of U.S. Business Cycles since the 1790s," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 66(01), pages 103-121, March.
- Calomiris, Charles W. & Schweikart, Larry, 1991. "The Panic of 1857: Origins, Transmission, and Containment," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(04), pages 807-834, December.
- Romer, Christina D., 1988. "World War I and the postwar depression A reinterpretation based on alternative estimates of GNP," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 91-115, July.
- Klovland, Jan T., 1998. "Monetary policy and business cycles in the interwar years: The Scandinavian experience," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 309-344, December.
- Goldsmith, Raymond W., 1982. "The National Balance Sheet of the United States, 1953-1980," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 0, number 9780226301525.
- Karsten R. Gerdrup, 2003. "Three episodes of financial fragility in Norway since the 1890s," BIS Working Papers 142, Bank for International Settlements.
- Musson, A. E., 1959. "The Great Depression in Britain, 1873–1896: a Reappraisal," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 199-228, June.
- Raymond W. Goldsmith, 1982. "The National Balance Sheet of the United States, 1953–1980," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gold82-1, December.
- Raymond W. Goldsmith, 1982. "Introduction to "The National Balance Sheet of the United States, 1953-1980"," NBER Chapters, in: The National Balance Sheet of the United States, 1953–1980, pages 1-3 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bno:worpap:2011_21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.