An Empirical Analysis of the Lewis-Ranis-FEi Theory of Dualistic Economic Development for China
We employ the Lewis-Ranis-Fei theory of dualistic economic development as a framework to investigate China's rapid growth over 1965-2002. We find that China's economic growth is mainly attributable to the development of the non-agricultural (industrial and service) sector, driven by rapid labour migration and capital accumulation. Our estimates of the sectoral marginal productivity of labour indicate that China's 1978 Economic Reform coincided with moving from phase one to phase tow growth, as defined in the Lewis-Ranis-Fei model. This implies that phase three growth could be achieved by commercialisation of the Chinese agricultural labour market.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.bham.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory Chow, 2006. "Are Chinese Official Statistics Reliable?," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 52(2), pages 396-414, June.
- Yasmina Reem Limam & Stephen M. Miller, 2004. "Explaining Economic Growth: Factor Accumulation, Total Factor Productivity Growth, and Production Efficiency Improvement," Working papers 2004-20, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Putterman, Louis, 1992. "Dualism and Reform in China," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(3), pages 467-93, April.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:108:y:1993:i:3:p:809-42 is not listed on IDEAS
- Knight, John, 2007.
"China, South Africa, and the Lewis Model,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- John Knight, 2007. "China, South Africa and the Lewis Model," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John Knight, 2007. "China, South Africa and the Lewis Model," CSAE Working Paper Series 2007-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Holz, Carsten A., 2006.
"New capital estimates for China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 142-185.
- Bart Hobijn & Philip Hans Franses & Marius Ooms, 2004. "Generalizations of the KPSS-test for stationarity," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 58(4), pages 483-502.
- Kwan, Yum K. & Chow, Gregory C., 1996. "Estimating Economic Effects of Political Movements in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 192-208, October.
- Lewis, W Arthur, 1979. "The Dual Economy Revisited," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 47(3), pages 211-29, September.
- Chow, G.C., 1990.
"Capital Formation And Economic Growth In China,"
67, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Zhang, Kevin Honglin & Song, Shunfeng, 2003. "Rural-urban migration and urbanization in China: Evidence from time-series and cross-section analyses," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 386-400.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bir:birmec:10-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Rowat)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.