The diverging patterns of profitability, investment and growth of China and India, 1980-2003
This paper documents the diverging patterns of capital accumulation, profit rates, investment rates, capital productivity and technological progress of China and India since 1980. It is concluded that the two Asian economies have followed very different growth patterns and, as a consequence, they face different challenges for the future. India's problem is how to accelerate growth, while China's is how to sustain it. India must address impediments to investment so as to increase its investment rate. China must deal with the question of whether investment can continue being the main source of growth given that profit rates and capital productivity are decreasing and that the economy has created substantial excess capacity.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Jude Yuen, 2005.
"The Suitability Of A Greater China Currency Union,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 83-103, 02.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Jude Yuen, 2004. "The Suitability of A Greater China Currency Union," Working Papers 122004, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Jude Yuen, 2004. "The Suitability of a Greater China Currency Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1192, CESifo Group Munich.
- Richard Pomfret, 2005. "Currency Areas in Theory and Practice," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(253), pages 166-176, 06.
- Nils Björksten & Özer Karagedikli & Christopher Plantier & Arthur Grimes, 2004. "What Does the Taylor Rule Say About a New Zealand-Australia Currency Union?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(s1), pages 34-42, 09.
- Grimes, Arthur, 2005. "Regional and industry cycles in Australasia: Implications for a common currency," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 380-397, June.
- Arthur Grimes, 2005. "Regional and Industry Cycles in Australasia: Implications for a Common Currency," Working Papers 05_04, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Arthur Grimes, 2005. "Regional and Industry Cycles in Australasia: Implications for a Common Currency," Macroeconomics 0509020, EconWPA.
- Viv Hall & Kunhong Kim & Robert Buckle, 1998. "Pacific rim business cycle analysis: Synchronisation and volatility," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 129-159.
- Viv Hall & Angela Huang, 2004. "Would adopting the us dollar have led to improved inflation, output and trade balances, for New Zealand in the 1990s?," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 49-63.
- Viv Hall & Angela Huang, 2003. "Would Adopting the US Dollar Have Led to Improved Inflation, Output and Trade Balances for New Zealand in the 1990s?," Working Papers 03_14, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Viv Hall & Angela Huang, 2004. "WOULD ADOPTING THE US DOLLAR HAVE LED TO IMPROVED INFLATION, OUTPUT AND TRADE BALANCES FOR NEW ZEALAND IN THE 1990s?," Macroeconomics 0401001, EconWPA.
- Nils Bjorksten, 2001. "The current state of New Zealand monetary union research," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 64, December.
- Sharon McCaw & C John McDermott, 2000. "How New Zealand adjusts to macroeconomic shocks: implications for joining a currency area," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 63, March.
- David Hargreaves & C John McDermott, 1999. "Issues relating to optimal currency areas: theory and implications for New Zealand," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, September.
- Drew, Aaron & Hall, Viv B. & McDermott, C. John & Clair, Robert St., 2004. "Would adopting the Australian dollar provide superior monetary policy in New Zealand?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 949-964, December.
- Aaron Drew & Viv Hall & John McDermott & Robert St. Clair, 2001. "Would adopting the Australian dollar provide superior monetary policy in New Zealand?," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2001/03, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Kam Leong Szeto & Paul Gardiner & Richard Gray & David Hargreaves, 2003. "A Comparison of the NZTM and FPS Models of the New Zealand Economy," Treasury Working Paper Series 03/25, New Zealand Treasury. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)