Belarusian Economic Growth Decomposition
Belarus experienced rapid economic growth in the 2000's, which abruptly came to halt after 2008. The authors found that the major source of growth was capital accumulation, while growth in total factor productivity (TFP) was modest. Moreover, government interventions and controls on the capital market contributed to misallocation which lowered aggregate productivity. Lack of productivity growth led to the loss of competitiveness on the international markets. Comparisons of TFP in Belarus with the Czech Republic and Sweden shows that comparative advantages of Belarus are concentrated in the natural-resource based industries, and TFP gap with the Czech Republic is not closing over time.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berthold Herrendorf & Ákos Valentinyi, 2012. "Which Sectors Make Poor Countries So Unproductive?," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 323-341, 04.
- János Kornai, 2006. "The great transformation of Central Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(2), pages 207-244, 04.
- Ofer, Gur, 1987. "Soviet Economic Growth: 1928-1985," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(4), pages 1767-1833, December.
- Jan Winiecki, 2003. "The Role of the New, Entrepreneurial Private Sector in Transition and Economic Performance in Light of the Successes in Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(11), pages 6-38, March.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Stefania Villa, 2013. "Growth in transition countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 21(3), pages 381-417, 07.
- Voskoboynikov, Ilya B., 2012. "New measures of output, labour and capital in industries of the Russian economy," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-123, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- V. A. Bessonov & I. B. Voskoboynikov, 2008. "Fixed Capital and Investment Trends in the Russian Economy in Transition," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 51(4), pages 6-48, August.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-680.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584-584.
- Dale Jorgenson & Mun Ho & Kevin Stiroh, 2003.
"Growth of US Industries and Investments in Information Technology and Higher Education,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 279-325.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2005. "Growth of U.S. Industries and Investments in Information Technology and Higher Education," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 403-478 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dzmitry Kruk & Kiryl Haiduk, 2013.
"The Outcome of Directed Lending in Belarus: Mitigating Recession or Dampening Long-Run Growth?,"
BEROC Working Paper Series
22, Belarusian Economic Research and Outreach Center (BEROC).
- Kruk Dzmitry & Haiduk Kiryl, 2013. "The Outcome of Directed Lending in Belarus: Mitigating Recession or Dampening Long-Run Growth?," EERC Working Paper Series 13/05e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Christensen, L. R. & Cummings, D. & Jorgenson, D. W., 1981. "Relative productivity levels, 1947-1973 : An international comparison," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 61-94.
- Akos Valentinyi & Berthold Herrendorf, 2008.
"Measuring Factor Income Shares at the Sectoral Level,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0803, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Akos Valentinyi & Berthold Herrendorf, 2008. "Measuring Factor Income Shares at the Sector Level," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 820-835, October.
- Carol Corrado & John Haltiwanger & Dan Sichel, 2005. "Measuring Capital in the New Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number corr05-1, Enero.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bel:wpaper:24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Svetlana Yakubovskaya)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.