A Monopolistic Credit Rating Agency
The paper analyses the demand for credit rating services of a continuum of firms. The firms differ in the probability of their investment's success which is private information. They can use the service of a monopolistic rating agency that sends an imperfect signal of their success probability to the capital market. The demand for rating services turns out to be not always monotonous in its price. If a rating agency exists, only rated firms obtain a credit. There can be oversupply or undersupply of rating services from a social planner's point of view.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Millon, Marcia H & Thakor, Anjan V, 1985.
" Moral Hazard and Information Sharing: A Model of Financial Information Gathering Agencies,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1403-1422, December.
- Marcia H. Millon & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "Moral Hazard and Information Sharing: A Model of Financial Information Gathering Agencies," Finance 0411024, EconWPA.
- Hellmuth Milde & John G. Riley, 1988. "Signaling in Credit Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 101-129.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-1051, September.
- Ram T. S. Ramakrishnan & Anjan V. Thakor, 1984. "Information Reliability and a Theory of Financial Intermediation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 415-432.
- repec:bla:joares:v:28:y:1990:i:1:p:77-120 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)