Italian real estate investment funds: market structure and risk measurement
This paper describes the Italian real estate investment funds industry, providing an overview of the distinctive features and risk factors of this sector. By using accounting and supervisory data, we: (1) compute the returns of the real estate assets in the portfolio of these funds; (2) construct a price index and a total return index of the real estate assets held by the Italian funds; (3) define a risk assessment process based on three different aspects - their financial profile, income structure and property price behaviour. This analysis allows us to select funds with a weak financial structure, poor returns, and a high probability that in a three-year interval their property portfolio will fall below their net liabilities (defined as the difference between debt and liquid assets). The proposed risk assessment can be seen as the first step towards a more intensive supervisory analysis and can also be useful for investment purposes.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Hoesli & Elion Jani & André Bender, 2005.
"Monte Carlo Simulations for Real Estate Valuation,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp148, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- James Kau & Donald Keenan & Yildiray Yildirim, 2009. "Estimating Default Probabilities Implicit in Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities (CMBS)," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 107-117, August.
- Christina E. Bannier & Falko Fecht & Marcel Tyrell, 2008.
"Open-End Real Estate Funds in Germany - Genesis and Crisis,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
165, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Christina E. Bannier & Falko Fecht & Marcel Tyrell, 2008. "Open-End Real Estate Funds in Germany – Genesis and Crisis," Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 41(1), pages 9-36.
- Bannier, Christina E. & Fecht, Falko & Tyrell, Marcel, 2007. "Open-end real estate funds in Germany: genesis and crisis," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Giacomo Morri & Stephen Lee, 2008. "The Performance Of Italian Real Estate Funds," ERES eres2008_212, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_120_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.