Does Wage Compression Explain Rigid Money Wages?
There is a literature on the causes of wage rigidity and there is a literature on within firm wage structures. We use a survey of CEOs to show that the two are interlinked in that the proposed explanations for the compression of wages within firms also provide an explanation for wage rigidity.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK|
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank, Robert H, 1984. "Are Workers Paid Their Marginal Products?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 549-71, September.
- Alison L. Booth & Gylfi Zoega, 2004.
"Is wage compression a necessary condition for firm-financed general training?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Booth, Alison L & Zoega, Gylfi, 2001. "Is Wage Compression a Necessary Condition for Firm-Financed General Training?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2845, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Efficiency of Equity in Organizational Decision Processes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 154-59, May.
- Teulings,Coen & Hartog,Joop, 1998.
"Corporatism or Competition?,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521590730, November.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1995.
" Theories of Pay and Unemployment: Survey Evidence from Swedish Manufacturing Firms,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 295-307, June.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1993. "Theories of Pay and Unemployment: Survey Evidence from Swedish Manufacturing Firms," Working Paper Series 380, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Agell, J. & Lundborg, P., 1992. "Theories of Pay and Unemployment: Survey Evidence from Swedish Manufacturing Firms," Papers 1993-8, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-283.
- Salop, Steven C, 1979. "A Model of the Natural Rate of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 117-25, March.
- Alan S. Blinder & Don H. Choi, 1989.
"A Shred of Evidence on Theories of Wage Stickiness,"
NBER Working Papers
3105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan S. Blinder & Don H. Choi, 1990. "A Shred of Evidence on Theories of Wage Stickiness," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(4), pages 1003-1015.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1989. "Pay Equality and Industrial Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 561-80, June.
- Alison L Booth & Gylfi Zoega, 2005. "Worker Heterogeneity, Intra-firm Externalities and Wage Compression," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0515, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Lazear, Edward P & Rosen, Sherwin, 1981.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 841-64, October.
- Assar Lindbeck & Dennis J. Snower, 1989. "The Insider-Outsider Theory of Employment and Unemployment," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026262074x, December.
- Carl M. Campbell III & Kunal S. Kamlani, 1997. "The Reasons for Wage Rigidity: Evidence from a Survey of Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 759-789.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Wellisz, Stanislaw, 1979. "Hierarchy, Ability, and Income Distribution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 991-1010, October.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Franz, Wolfgang, 2002. "The Rationale for Wage Rigidity: Survey Evidence from German and US Firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-60, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbk:bbkefp:0516. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.