Trends and Quality of Decentralized Public Investment
Around the world state and local governments have an important and growing role in the provision of public infrastructure services. Subnational governments presently account for an average of 63 percent of public fixed capital formation in OECD countries and approximately for 40 percent in developing countries. However, to date, the subnational dimension of public investment has been largely overlooked and it is not as well documented as other local responsibilities in service delivery.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Estache, Antonio & Fay, Marianne, 2007. "Current debates on infrastructure policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4410, The World Bank.
- Hoyt, William H., 1999. "Leviathan, local government expenditures, and capitalization," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 155-171, March.
- Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1997.
"Federalism as a Commitment to Preserving Market Incentives,"
97042, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1997. "Federalism as a Commitment to Reserving Market Incentives," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 83-92, Fall.
- Hulten, Charles R. & Schwab, Robert M., 1997. "A fiscal federalism approach to infrastructure policy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 139-159, April.
- de Mello, Luiz Jr, 2000. "Fiscal Decentralization and Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 365-380, February.
- Gonzalez Alegre, Juan & Kappeler, Andreas & Kolev, Atanas & Valila, Timo, 2008. "Composition of government investment in Europe: Some forensic evidence," EIB Papers 2/2008, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Dan Stegarescu, 2005. "Public sector decentralisation: measurement concepts and recent international trends," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(3), pages 301-333, September.
- Aaron Mehrotra & Timo Välilä, 2006. "Public Investment in Europe: Evolution and Determinants in perspective," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 27(4), pages 443-471, December.
- World Bank, 2005. "East Asia Decentralizes : Making Local Government Work," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7492, February.
- KEEN, Michael & MARCHAND, Maurice, 1996.
"Fiscal Competition and the Pattern of Public Spending,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996001, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Keen, Michael & Marchand, Maurice, 1997. "Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 33-53, October.
- Keen, M. & Marchand, M., . "Fiscal competition and the pattern of public spending," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1284, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Paul Faguet, 2008. "Decentralisation's Effects on Public Investment: Evidence and Policy Lessons from Bolivia and Colombia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(8), pages 1100-1121.
- Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge & McNab, Robert M., 2003.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1597-1616, September.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Robert McNab, 2001. "Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0101, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul, 2004. "Does decentralization increase government responsiveness to local needs?: Evidence from Bolivia," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 867-893, March.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & de Nicola, Carlo & Kappeler, Andreas, 2010. "Infrastructure finance in Europe: Composition, evolution and crisis impact," EIB Papers 1/2010, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1985. "Searching for Leviathan: An Empirical Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 748-57, September.
- Ebel, Robert D. & Yilmaz, Serdar, 2002. "On the measurement and impact of fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2809, The World Bank.
- Panizza, Ugo, 1999. "On the determinants of fiscal centralization: Theory and evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 97-139, October.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- Kappeler, Andreas & Välilä, Timo, 2008. "Fiscal federalism and the composition of public investment in Europe," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 562-570, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper1407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.