The changing influence of culture on job satisfaction across Europe: 1981-2008
This paper contributes to the growing multi-disciplinary body of literature on subjective wellbeing by investigating the temporal stability and impacts of cultural values on job satisfaction over time. It is generally believed that cultural values evolve fairly slowly, leading to the expectation that the impacts of these values on job satisfaction are likely to be fairly stable over an individual’s working life. This paper uses four waves of the European Values Study and investigates whether cultural values have evolved and whether their impacts on job satisfaction have changed across Europe over the period 1981-2008. We parameterise cultural values through reference to traditional vs. secular and survival vs. self-expression value continuums. Results indicate that the strength of many cultural values have declined, the impacts of traditional values on job satisfaction have remained fairly constant, and the impacts of survival values on job satisfaction have declined substantially over the sample period.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Commerce House, 360 Queen Street, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1020|
Phone: +64 9 917-9721
Fax: +64 9 917-9976
Web page: http://www.aut.ac.nz/business/working-paper-series
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:eme:ijmpps:v:29:y:2008:i:7:p:630-650 is not listed on IDEAS
- De Wet van der Westhuizen & Gail Pacheco & Don J. Webber, 2010. "Culture, participative decision making and job satisfaction," Working Papers 1010, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Freeman, Richard B, 1978.
"Job Satisfaction as an Economic Variable,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 135-141, May.
- Riggle, Robert J. & Edmondson, Diane R. & Hansen, John D., 2009. "A meta-analysis of the relationship between perceived organizational support and job outcomes: 20 years of research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 1027-1030, October.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J. & Warr, Peter B., 1994. "Is job satisfaction u-shaped in age ?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9407, CEPREMAP.
- Michale D. Myers & Felix B. Tan, 2002. "Beyond Models of National Culture in Information Systems Research," Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), IGI Global, vol. 10(1), pages 24-32, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aut:wpaper:201206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gail Pacheco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.