Werbemarkt Fernsehen: Zur Eignung der Spektralanalyse als Prognoseinstrument
Over more than a decade, advertising rates per 1000 viewers, television consumption as well as the number of advertising spots have been steadily increasing. As a consequence, television has developed to the most important medium for the advertising industry and attracts a 40% share of German gross advertising spending. Motivated by the recent slump of advertising rates and of the number of spots, this paper attempts to develop a forecast model for real advertising spending on the German TV market. In a first step, spectral analysis is used to identify the most important cycles on the advertising market. In a second step, the identified cycles are entering a regression model which is the basis for making forecasts. To evaluate the forecast quality, the results are compared to a standard ARIMA model. The estimations are based on monthly data of the German TV advertising market from 1990 to 2004. Actually, the results show that the estimated cyclical pattern describes the trends on the TV advertising market very well. The cycle model is therefore a useful tool for making ex-ante forecasts of real advertising spending. Underlining the quality of the approach, the ARIMA approach is performing significantly worse than the introduced cycle model.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guilhem Bentoglio & Jacky Fayolle & Matthieu Lemoine, 2002.
"Unity and Plurality of the European Cycle,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2002-03, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lambin, Jean-Jacques & Naert, Philippe A. & Bultez, Alain, 1975. "Optimal marketing behavior in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 105-128, April.
- Duffy, Martyn, 2003. "Advertising and food, drink and tobacco consumption in the United Kingdom: a dynamic demand system," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 51-70, January.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1983. "Advertising and Entry Deterrence: An Exploratory Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 636-53, August.
- Hirschey, Mark John, 1978. "Television advertising and profitability," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 259-264.
- Gebhard Flaig, 2003. "Time Series Properties of the German Monthly Production Index," CESifo Working Paper Series 833, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aug:augsbe:0274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.