Issues in evaluating generic promotion in the food chain
Some issues in the evaluation of generic promotion have received relatively little attention. The agricultural economics literature on brand versus generic advertising is often simple empirically and has not related well to the burgeoning marketing literature on brand/private label strategies. Conversely, that literature does not often consider the implication of the strategies for any but consumers, processors and retailers. Thus, there is a significant gap in terms of branding strategy implications for farmers, in spite of the fact that many farm groups and co-operatives feel that this should be their main marketing goal. This issue becomes more relevant for exporting countries such as Australia given the requirement for country-of-origin labelling in the most recent US Farm Bill. In this paper we review the generic promotion literature, develop a conceptual framework for examining some of the issues of generic and brand advertising in agricultural industries, and provide an example using a simple synthetic model.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry M. Kaiser & Donald J. Liu, 1998. "The Effectiveness of Generic versus Brand Advertising: The Case of U.S. Dairy Promotion," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-79.
- Lambin, Jean-Jacques & Naert, Philippe A. & Bultez, Alain, 1975. "Optimal marketing behavior in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 105-128, April.
- Naufel J. Vilcassim & Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1999. "Investigating Dynamic Multifirm Market Interactions in Price and Advertising," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 499-518, April.
- Putsis, William Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 2001. "An empirical analysis of the determinants of category expenditure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 277-291, June.
- Eugene Jones & Ronald W. Ward, 1989. "Effectiveness of generic and brand advertising on fresh and processed potato products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 523-536.
- Julian M. Alston & John W. Freebairn & Jennifer S. James, 2001. "Beggar-Thy-Neighbor Advertising: Theory and Application to Generic Commodity Promotion Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 888-902.
- Henry W. Kinnucan & Cynda R. Clary, 1995. "Brand versus generic advertising: A conceptual framework with an application to cheese," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 355-369.
- Nicholas J. Powers, 1989. "A study of demand response to grocery advertising of fresh California-Arizona navel oranges," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 423-435.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J. & Alston, Julian M., 1999.
"Does Branded Food Product Advertising Help Or Hurt Farmers?,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21582, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J. & Alston, Julian M., 2002. "Does Branded Food Product Advertising Help Or Hurt Farmers?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Advertising as a Good or Bad," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(4), pages 941-964.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2001. "Neoclassical explanations of vertical organization and performance of food Industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 33-57.
- Gary W. Brester & Ted C. Schroeder, 1995. "The Impacts of Brand and Generic Advertising on Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(4), pages 969-979.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare03:57871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.