Aerotropolis: an aviation-linked space
This paper examines the conditions allowing for the formation of aeropolitan areas as large industrial areas with a high concentration of commercial activities in the proximity of cargo airports. When firms deliver part of their production by plane, land competition takes place among service operators, firms and farmers. Service operators supply facilities that firms can take advantage of. Our framework allows selecting a stable land equilibrium: the spatial sequence Airport-Industrial Park-Rural Area (A-I-R). Aerotropolis-type configurations arise around cargo airports when there is an intense use of the airport by the firms and a sufficiently high level of facilities.
|Date of creation:||16 Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vernon Henderson, 2001.
"Marshall's Scale Economies,"
01-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Muto, Sachio, 2006. "Estimation of the bid rent function with the usage decision model," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 33-49, July.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996.
"Economics of Agglomeration,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 339-378, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-François, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521171960, June.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-François, 2013. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107001411, June.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fujita, M. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Economics of agglomeration," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1250, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- John S. Chipman, 1970. "External Economies of Scale and Competitive Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 347-385.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Matthew E. Kahn, 2003.
"Sprawl and Urban Growth,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2004, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- BRUECKNER, Jan K. & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois & ZENOU, Yves, .
"Why is central Paris rich and downtown Detroit poor? An amenity-based theory,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Zenou, Yves, 1999. "Why is central Paris rich and downtown Detroit poor?: An amenity-based theory," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 91-107, January.
- Brueckner, J.K. & Thisse, J.-F. & Zenou, Y., 1996. "Why is central Paris rich and downtown Detroit poor ? An amenity-based theory," CORE Discussion Papers 1996065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Duncan Black & Vernon Henderson, 1997. "Urban Growth," NBER Working Papers 6008, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cavailhes, Jean & Peeters, Dominique & Sekeris, Evangelos & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2004. "The periurban city: why to live between the suburbs and the countryside," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 681-703, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:665.06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.