Modeling the stylized facts of wholesale system marginal price (SMP) and the impacts of regulatory reforms on the Greek Electricity Market
This work presents the results of an empirical research with the target of modeling the stylized facts of the daily expost System Marginal Price (SMP) of the Greek wholesale electricity market, using data from January 2004 to December of 2011. SMP is considered here as the footprint of an underline stochastic and nonlinear process that bears all the information reflecting not only the effects of changes in endogenous or fundamental factors of the market but also the impacts of a series of regulatory reforms that have continuously changed the market's microstructure. To capture the dynamics of the conditional mean and volatility of SMP that generate the stylized facts(mean reversion, price spikes, fat tails price distribution etc), a number of ARMAX GARCH models have been estimated using as regressors an extensive set of fundamental factors in the Greek electricity market as well as dummy variables that mimic the history of Regulator's interventions. The findings show that changes in the microstructure of the market caused by the reforms have strongly affected the dynamic evolution of SMP and that the best found model captures adequately the stylized facts of the series that other electricity and financial markets share. The dynamics of the conditional volatility generated by the model can be extremely useful in the efforts that are under way towards market restructuring so the Greek market to be more compatible with the requirements of the European Target Model.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali, 2008.
"MIncreasing Market Interconnection: an analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market,"
17-2008, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Nov 2008.
- Boffa, Federico & Pingali, Viswanath & Vannoni, Davide, 2010. "Increasing market interconnection: An analysis of the Italian electricity spot market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 311-322, May.
- Federico Boffa & Viswanath Pingali & Davide Vannoni, 2009. "Increasing Market Interconnection: An analysis of the Italian Electricity Spot Market," Working papers 4, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Josep Perello & Miquel Montero & Luigi Palatella & Ingve Simonsen & Jaume Masoliver, 2006. "Entropy of the Nordic electricity market: anomalous scaling, spikes, and mean-reversion," Papers physics/0609066, arXiv.org.
- Bruno Bosco & Lucia Parisio & Matteo Pelagatti, 2007. "Deregulated Wholesale Electricity Prices in Italy: An Empirical Analysis," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 13(4), pages 415-432, November.
- Angelica Gianfreda, 2010. "Volatility and Volume Effects in European Electricity Spot Markets," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 39(s1), pages 47-63, 02.
- Byström, Hans, 2001.
"Extreme Value Theory and Extremely Large Electricity Price Changes,"
2001:19, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Bystrom, Hans N. E., 2005. "Extreme value theory and extremely large electricity price changes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-55.
- Apostolos Serletis, 2012. "Quantitative and Empirical Analysis of Energy Markets," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 8624.
- Bask, Mikael & Liu, Tung & Widerberg, Anna, 2007.
"The stability of electricity prices: Estimation and inference of the Lyapunov exponents,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 376(C), pages 565-572.
- Mikael Bask & Tung Liu & Anna Widerberg, 2006. "The Stability of Electricity Prices: Estimation and Inference of the Lyapunov Exponent," Working Papers 200603, Ball State University, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2006.
- Bask , Mikael & Liu , Tung & Widerberg , Anna, 2006. "The stability of electricity prices: estimation and inference of the Lyapunov exponents," Research Discussion Papers 9/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Kalantzis, Fotis & Sakellaris, Kostis, 2012. "Investigating the Impact of the Greek Electricity Market Reforms on its Day-Ahead Market Prices," MPRA Paper 37794, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1401.5452. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.