Viscosity characterization of the value function of an investment-consumption problem in presence of illiquid assets
We study a problem of optimal investment/consumption over an infinite horizon in a market consisting of a liquid and an illiquid asset. The liquid asset is observed and can be traded continuously, while the illiquid one can only be traded and observed at discrete random times corresponding to the jumps of a Poisson process. The problem is a nonstandard mixed discrete/continuous optimal control problem which we face by the dynamic programming approach. The main aim of the paper is to prove that the value function is the unique viscosity solution of an associated HJB equation. We then use such result to build a numerical algorithm allowing to approximate the value function and so to measure the cost of illiquidity.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koichi Matsumoto, 2006. "Optimal portfolio of low liquid assets with a log-utility function," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 121-145, 01.
- Paul Gassiat & Fausto Gozzi & Huy\^en Pham, 2011.
"Investment/consumption problem in illiquid markets with regime-switching,"
1107.4210, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2012.
- Paul Gassiat & Fausto Gozzi & Huyen Pham, 2011. "Investment/consumption problem in illiquid markets with regimes switching," Working Papers hal-00610214, HAL.
- Salvatore Federico & Paul Gassiat & Fausto Gozzi, 2012. "Impact of time illiquidity in a mixed market without full observation," Papers 1211.1285, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2015.
- Eduardo S. Schwartz & Claudio Tebaldi, 2006. "Illiquid Assets and Optimal Portfolio Choice," NBER Working Papers 12633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ang & Dimitris Papanikolaou & Mark Westerfield, 2013. "Portfolio Choice with Illiquid Assets," NBER Working Papers 19436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huyên Pham & Peter Tankov, 2008. "A Model Of Optimal Consumption Under Liquidity Risk With Random Trading Times," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 613-627.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1211.1286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.