Viscosity characterization of the value function of an investment-consumption problem in presence of illiquid assets
We study a problem of optimal investment/consumption over an infinite horizon in a market consisting of a liquid and an illiquid asset. The liquid asset is observed and can be traded continuously, while the illiquid one can only be traded and observed at discrete random times corresponding to the jumps of a Poisson process. The problem is a nonstandard mixed discrete/continuous optimal control problem which we face by the dynamic programming approach. The main aim of the paper is to prove that the value function is the unique viscosity solution of an associated HJB equation. We then use such result to build a numerical algorithm allowing to approximate the value function and so to measure the cost of illiquidity.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Gassiat & Fausto Gozzi & Huyen Pham, 2011.
"Investment/consumption problem in illiquid markets with regimes switching,"
- Paul Gassiat & Fausto Gozzi & Huy\^en Pham, 2011. "Investment/consumption problem in illiquid markets with regime-switching," Papers 1107.4210, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2012.
- Koichi Matsumoto, 2006. "Optimal portfolio of low liquid assets with a log-utility function," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 121-145, 01.
- Andrew Ang & Dimitris Papanikolaou & Mark Westerfield, 2013. "Portfolio Choice with Illiquid Assets," NBER Working Papers 19436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Salvatore Federico & Paul Gassiat & Fausto Gozzi, 2012. "Impact of time illiquidity in a mixed market without full observation," Papers 1211.1285, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2015.
- Eduardo S. Schwartz & Claudio Tebaldi, 2006. "Illiquid Assets and Optimal Portfolio Choice," NBER Working Papers 12633, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huy�n Pham & Peter Tankov, 2008. "A Model Of Optimal Consumption Under Liquidity Risk With Random Trading Times," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 613-627.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1211.1286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.