Technical Efficiency in the Malaysian Gill Net Artisanal Fishery
Artisanal fishing communities include some of the poorest fishers in Malaysia. The paper presents the first technical efficiency study, whichfinds that artisanal fishers are poor, but enjoy a higher level of technical efficiency than found in the other Malaysian gill net fisheries. It suggests that targeted development assistance to the harvesting sector may be better directed to other priorities in artisanal fishing communities.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://een.anu.edu.au/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cor:louvrp:-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-1248, September.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, António E., 1993.
"Efficiency Analysis of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review of the Frontier Function Literature,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 88-101, April.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, Antonio E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis Of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review Of The Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1987. "The specification of technical and allocative inefficiency in stochastic production and profit frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 335-348, March.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-332.
- Campbell, H. F. & Hand, A. J., 1998. "Joint ventures and technology transfer: the Solomon Islands pole-and-line fishery," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 421-442.
- ZELLNER, Arnold & KMENTA, Jan & DREZE, Jacques H., "undated". "Specification and estimation of Cobb-Douglas production function models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 12, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "On price risk and the inverse farm size-productivity relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 193-215, December.
- Campbell, H. F., 1991. "Estimating the elasticity of substitution between restricted and unrestricted inputs in a regulated fishery: A probit approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 262-274, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)