Role of Farmers’ Organizations in Agricultural Transformation in Africa: Overview of Continental, Regional, and Selected National Level Organizations
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Valeria Borsellino & Emanuele Schimmenti & Hamid El Bilali, 2020. "Agri-Food Markets towards Sustainable Patterns," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(6), pages 1-35, March.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," GlobalFood Discussion Papers 121229, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Barham, James & Chitemi, Clarence, 2009. "Collective action initiatives to improve marketing performance: Lessons from farmer groups in Tanzania," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 53-59, February.
- Pingali, Prabhu & Khwaja, Yasmeen & Meijer, Madelon, 2005. "Commercializing small farms: reducing transaction cost," ESA Working Papers 289070, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA).
- Sikhulumile Sinyolo & Maxwell Mudhara, 2018. "Collective action and rural poverty reduction: Empirical evidence from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa," Agrekon, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 57(1), pages 78-90, January.
- Sean Alley & John Marangos, 2006. "A Comparative Political Economy Approach to Farming Interest Groups in Australia and the United States," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 497-524, July.
- Levins, Richard A., 2002.
"Collective Bargaining by Farmers: Time For a Fresh Look?,"
Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm, and Resource Issues, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 1-4.
- Levins, Richard A., 2001. "Collective Bargaining By Farmers: Time For a Fresh Look?," Choices: The Magazine of Food, Farm, and Resource Issues, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 1-4.
- Ragasa, Catherine & Lambrecht, Isabel & Kufoalor, Doreen S., 2018.
"Limitations of Contract Farming as a Pro-poor Strategy: The Case of Maize Outgrower Schemes in Upper West Ghana,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 30-56.
- Ragasa, Catherine & Lambrecht, Isabel & Kufoalor, Doreen S., 2017. "Limitations of contract farming as a pro-poor strategy: The case of maize outgrower schemes in upper West Ghana," IFPRI discussion papers 1626, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ellen Verhofstadt & Miet Maertens, 2014. "Smallholder cooperatives and agricultural performance in Rwanda: do organizational differences matter?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 45(S1), pages 39-52, November.
- Prabhu Pingali & Yasmeen Khwaja & Madelon Meijer, 2005. "Commercializing Small Farms: Reducing Transaction Costs," Working Papers 05-08, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Jera, R. & Ajayi, Olu Clifford, 2008. "Logistic modelling of smallholder livestock farmers’ adoption of tree-based fodder technology in Zimbabwe," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 47(3), pages 1-14, September.
- Prabhu Pingali & Anaka Aiyar & Mathew Abraham & Andaleeb Rahman, 2019. "Transforming Food Systems for a Rising India," Palgrave Studies in Agricultural Economics and Food Policy, Palgrave Macmillan, number 978-3-030-14409-8, November.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Gender, Agricultural Commercialization, and Collective Action in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126659, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lowder, Sarah K. & Skoet, Jakob & Raney, Terri, 2016. "The Number, Size, and Distribution of Farms, Smallholder Farms, and Family Farms Worldwide," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 16-29.
- Bekele Shiferaw & Gideon Obare & Geoffrey Muricho, 2008. "Rural market imperfections and the role of institutions in collective action to improve markets for the poor," Natural Resources Forum, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 25-38, February.
- Shokoohi, Zeinab & Chizari, Amir Hossein & Asgari, Mahdi, 2019. "Investigating Bargaining Power Of Farmers And Processors In Iran'S Dairy Market," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 126-141, February.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2000. "Collective Action and the Evolution of Social Norms," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 137-158, Summer.
- Bachke, Maren Elise, 2019. "Do farmers’ organizations enhance the welfare of smallholders? Findings from the Mozambican national agricultural survey," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 89(C).
- Brune, Nancy E. & Bossert, Thomas, 2009. "Building social capital in post-conflict communities: Evidence from Nicaragua," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 885-893, March.
- Gian Nicola Francesconi & Fleur Wouterse, 2015. "The Health of Farmer-Based Organisations in Ghana: Organisational Diagnostics and Governance Implications," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(3), pages 262-273, March.
- Ma, Wanglin & Abdulai, Awudu, 2016. "Does cooperative membership improve household welfare? Evidence from apple farmers in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 94-102.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Anjani Kumar & Pramod K. Joshi & Alwin D'Souza, 2018. "Cooperatives, contract farming, and farm size: The case of tomato producers in Nepal," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(4), pages 865-886, October.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Rahi Jain & Prashant Narnaware, 2018. "Role of Local Context in the Success of Farmer Collectives: A Review," Millennial Asia, , vol. 9(3), pages 318-335, December.
- Phakathi, Sandile & Sinyolo, Sikhulumile & Fraser, Gavin & Marire, Juniours, 2021. "Heterogeneous Welfare Effects of Farmer Groups in Smallholder Irrigation Schemes in South Africa," 2021 Conference, August 17-31, 2021, Virtual 315218, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Adjin, K. Christophe & Goundan, Anatole & Henning, Christian H. C. A. & Sarr, Saer, 2020. "Estimating the impact of agricultural cooperatives in Senegal: Propensity score matching and endogenous switching regression analysis," Working Papers of Agricultural Policy WP2020-10, University of Kiel, Department of Agricultural Economics, Chair of Agricultural Policy.
- Kangile, Rajabu Joseph, 2015. "Efficiency In Production By Smallholder Rice Farmers Under Cooperative Irrigation Schemes In Pwani And Morogoro Regions, Tanzania," Research Theses 265681, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Maria Costanza Torri, 2012. "Innovative Farmer Institutions and Market Imperfections," Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Emerging Economies, Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, vol. 21(1), pages 59-90, March.
- Dave Nyongesa & Martin Kiogora Mwirigi & David Yongo & Stella Makokha, 2016. "Gender-concerns: do they matter in smallholder dairy groups in Kenya?," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 12(1), pages 1-17.
- Verhofstadt, Ellen & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Cooperative membership and agricultural performance: Evidence from Rwanda," Working Papers 157389, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Joseph Kangile, Rajabu, 2015. "Efficiency in Production By Smallholder Rice Farmers Under Cooperative Irrigation Schemes in Pwani and Morogoro Regions, Tanzania," Research Theses 243447, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Kuijpers, Rob, 2020. "Integrated Value Chain Development: Evidence from Bangladesh," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 97(C).
- Jan Falkowski & Pavel Ciaian, 2016. "Factors Supporting the Development of Producer Organizations and their Impacts in the Light of Ongoing Changes in Food Supply Chains: A Literature Review," JRC Working Papers JRC101617, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Corsi, Stefano & Marchisio, Laura Viviana & Orsi, Luigi, 2017. "Connecting smallholder farmers to local markets: Drivers of collective action, land tenure and food security in East Chad," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 39-47.
- Viet Hoang, 2021. "Impact of Contract Farming on Farmers’ Income in the Food Value Chain: A Theoretical Analysis and Empirical Study in Vietnam," Agriculture, MDPI, vol. 11(8), pages 1-16, August.
- Meemken, Eva-Marie & Qaim, Matin, 2017. "Can Private Food Standards Promote Gender Equality in the Small Farm Sector?," 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois 258088, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Diwakar KC & Tek Maraseni & Chubamenla Jamir & Ritendra Thapa Magar & Florencia Tuladhar, 2020. "Effectiveness of Gravity Goods Ropeways in market participation of smallholder farmers in uplands," Transportation, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 1393-1414, June.
- Bhanot, Disha & Kathuria, Vinish & Das, Debabrata, 2021. "Can institutional innovations in agri-marketing channels alleviate distress selling? Evidence from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 137(C).
- Silva Larson & Anne (Giger)-Dray & Tina Cornioley & Manithaythip Thephavanh & Phomma Thammavong & Sisavan Vorlasan & John G. Connell & Magnus Moglia & Peter Case & Kim S. Alexander & Pascal Perez, 2020. "A Game-Based Approach to Exploring Gender Differences in Smallholder Decisions to Change Farming Practices: White Rice Production in Laos," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(16), pages 1-22, August.
- Kifle T. Sebhatu & Fatemeh Taheri & Tekeste Berhanu & Miet Maertens & Steven Van Passel & Marijke D'Haese, 2021. "Beyond focus: Exploring variability of service provision of agricultural cooperatives," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 207-231, June.
- Nawab Khan & Ram L. Ray & Hazem S. Kassem & Muhammad Ihtisham & Badar Naseem Siddiqui & Shemei Zhang, 2022. "Can Cooperative Supports and Adoption of Improved Technologies Help Increase Agricultural Income? Evidence from a Recent Study," Land, MDPI, vol. 11(3), pages 1-18, March.
- Kassie, Menale & Fisher, Monica & Muricho, Geoffrey & Diiro, Gracious, 2020. "Women’s empowerment boosts the gains in dietary diversity from agricultural technology adoption in rural Kenya," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 95(C).
- Hannah Gichungi & Beatrice Muriithi & Patrick Irungu & Gracious Diiro & John Busienei, 2021. "Effect of Technological Innovation on Gender Roles: The Case of Fruit Fly IPM Adoption on Women’s Decision-Making in Mango Production and Marketing in Kenya," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 33(3), pages 407-426, June.
More about this item
KeywordsAgribusiness; International Relations/Trade; Marketing;
All these keywords.
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-PPM-2021-02-22 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ubonwp:309358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/zefbnde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: AgEcon Search (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/zefbnde.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.