Agricultural Production Incentives: Fertilizer Markets and Insights from Kenya
The paper has several specific objectives. First, it identifies how fertilizer marketing costs and the types of fertilizers used have changed over the course of the liberalization process in Kenya. A second objective is to examine the fertilizer subsector in Kenya with a view to identifying organizational and institutional changes that could improve its performance. Various types of fertilizer supply chains serving farmers in western Kenya are identified, examine the cost structure of these supply chains, identify potential sources of cost reduction in these supply chains, and last, estimate the impact of illustrative scenarios for reducing fertilizer marketing costs on the profitability of maize production in western Kenya.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Were Omamo, 1998. "Farm-to-market transaction costs and specialisation in small-scale agriculture: Explorations with a non-separable household model," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 152-163.
- Nyoro, James K. & Kiiru, M.W. & Jayne, Thom S., 1999.
"Evolution of Kenya's Maize Marketing Systems in the Post-Liberalization Era,"
202679, Egerton University, Tegemeo Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development.
- Nyoro, James K. & Kiiru, M.W. & Jayne, Thomas S., 1999. "Evolution of Kenya's Maize Marketing Systems in the Post-liberalization Era," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55148, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Steven Were Omamo, 1998. "Transport Costs and Smallholder Cropping Choices: An Application to Siaya District, Kenya," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 116-123.
- Demeke, Mulat & Kelly, Valerie A. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Said, Ali & Le Vallee, Jean-Charles & Chen, H., 1998. "Agricultural Market Performance and Determinants of Fertilizer Use in Ethiopia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55599, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midcwp:55150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.