Optimal Post-Harvest Grains Storage By Risk Averse Farmers
Most previous research on post-harvest grain storage by farmers has assumed risk-neutral behavior and/or made restrictive assumptions about underlying price probability distributions. In this study we solve the optimal post-harvest storage problem for a risk averse farmer under more general assumptions about underlying price distributions. The resulting model is applied to Michigan corn farmers and results show that, contrary to the sell all-or-nothing risk-neutral rule, risk averse farmers will spread sales out over the storage season. The optimal pattern for sales by Michigan corn farmers is to sell approximately 50% of corn at harvest in November (a risk-reduction strategy) and approximately 40% in May (a return-enhancing strategy).
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sartwelle, James D., III & O'Brien, Daniel M. & Tierney, William I., Jr. & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect Of Personal And Farm Characteristics Upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Steven D. Hanson & Robert J. Myers & J. Roy Black, 1998. "The Effects of Crop Yield Insurance Designs on Farmer Participation and Welfare," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 806-820.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Kimle, Kevin & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1993.
"A Dynamic Minimum Variance Hedge,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
10833, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sartwelle, James & O'Brien, Daniel & Tierney, William & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect of Personal and Farm Characteristics upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 95-111, April.
- Seung-Ryong Yang & B. Wade Brorsen, 1992. "Nonlinear Dynamics of Daily Cash Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(3), pages 706-715.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midasp:11739. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.