The impact of Irrigation on Agricultural Productivity: Evidence from India
Using plot level production data from a nation-wide survey in India, we study the impact of irrigation on crop productivity, land prices and cropping intensities. Our main identification strategy is based on a sufficient number of households cultivating multiple plots of different irrigation status. After household fixed effects and plot characteristics are controlled for, our estimations show that irrigation has a strong and significant impact on all these outcomes with the dominant effects on cropping intensities. We find quality of irrigation also matters. Our results provide support for continuing investments to improve access and quality of irrigation in India.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barker, R. & Ringler, C. & Tien, N. M. & Rosegrant, M., 2004. "Macro policies and investment priorities for irrigated agriculture in Vietnam," IWMI Research Reports H036329, International Water Management Institute.
- Ahmad, Munir & Chaudhry, Ghulam Mustafa & Iqbal, Muhammad, 2002.
"Wheat Productivity, Efficiency, and Sustainability: A Stochastic Production Frontier Analysis,"
3672, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2002.
- Munir Ahmad & Ghulam Mustafa Chaudhry & Mohammad Iqbal, 2002. "Wheat Productivity, Efficiency, and Sustainability: A Stochastic Production Frontier Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 41(4), pages 643-663.
- Gerald E. Shively, 2001. "Agricultural Change, Rural Labor Markets, and Forest Clearing: An Illustrative Case from the Philippines," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(2), pages 268-284.
- Qiuqiong Huang & David Dawe & Scott Rozelle & Jikun Huang & Jinxia Wang, 2005.
"Irrigation, poverty and inequality in rural China ,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), pages 159-175, 06.
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Dawe, David & Rozelle, Scott & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2005. "Irrigation, poverty and inequality in rural China," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), June.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Sullins, Martha, 1994. "Water markets in Pakistan: participation and productivity," EPTD discussion papers 4, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Why have some Indian states performed better than others at reducing rural poverty?," FCND discussion papers 26, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ringler, Claudia & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Paisner, Michael S., 2000. "Irrigation and water resources in Latin America and the Caribbean: challenges and strategies," EPTD discussion papers 64, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Kasryno, Faisal & Perez, Nicostrato D., 1998. "Output response to prices and public investment in agriculture: Indonesian food crops," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Kei Kajisa & K. Palanisami & Takeshi Sakurai, 2007. "Effects on poverty and equity of the decline in collective tank irrigation management in Tamil Nadu, India," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 347-362, 05.
- Hussain, Intizar & Wijerathna, Deeptha, 2004. "Irrigation and income-poverty alleviation: a comparative analysis of irrigation systems in developing Asia," IWMI Research Reports H036165, International Water Management Institute.
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Lohmar, Bryan & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2006.
"Irrigation, agricultural performance and poverty reduction in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 30-52, February.
- Huang, Qiuqiong & Rozelle, Scott & Huang, Jikun & Wang, Jinxia, 2002. "Irrigation, Agricultural Performance And Poverty Reduction In China," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19605, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Linxiu & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2002. "Growth, inequality, and poverty in rural China: the role of public investments," Research reports 125, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126868. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.