How Important Are Cultural and Environmental Objectives for Rice farmers in South Senegal?
This paper explores farmer-specific cultural, social and economic objectives within the extensive rice system in the Kolda region (south of Senegal). We classify and characterize farmers according to the relative importance of their multifunctional goals. The empirical analysis uses farm-level data collected through a face-to-face questionnaire to a sample of rice farmers. The Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) is used to measure farmers’ primary and secondary objectives importance in planning their activities, and Cluster Analysis (CA) to classify and characterize farmers according to their priorities. Results suggest that within the “economic” role, the most important goals are “maximization of total farm income” followed by “improving rice quality”. Farmers are willing to “minimize fertilizers use”, both to reduce cost and to preserve environment. They recognize their potential role in “minimizing illegal immigration”. Results can be useful in guiding policy makers by considering farmers’ priorities at local level
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zein Kallas & José A. Gómez-Limón & Jes�s Barreiro Hurlé, 2007. "Decomposing the Value of Agricultural Multifunctionality: Combining Contingent Valuation and the Analytical Hierarchy Process," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 218-241, 06.
- Kallas, Zein & Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Arriaza Balmón, Manuel, 2006.
"Are Citizens Willing to Pay for Agricultural Multifunctionality?,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25476, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zein Kallas & José A. Gómez-Limón & Manuel Arriaza, 2007. "Are citizens willing to pay for agricultural multifunctionality?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 405-419, 05.
- Forman, Ernest & Peniwati, Kirti, 1998. "Aggregating individual judgments and priorities with the analytic hierarchy process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 165-169, July.
- Easley, Robert F. & Valacich, Joseph S. & Venkataramanan, M. A., 2000. "Capturing group preferences in a multicriteria decision," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 73-83, August.
- Saaty, Thomas L., 2003. "Decision-making with the AHP: Why is the principal eigenvector necessary," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 85-91, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:125980. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.