Concepts, applications, and extensions of value chain analysis to livestock systems in developing countries
The analysis of value chains has augmented our knowledge on the complexities, inter-linkages, distributional benefits, and institutional arrangements of production and marketing channels in developing countries. However, the analysis remains relatively qualitative and case-specific, with limited ability to rank or assess the impact of alternative interventions or to analyze sufficiently the complex market dynamics and feedbacks present in livestock systems. This paper offers insights on ways to improve the analytical rigor of the value chain methodology that combines both qualitative and quantitative approaches.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Federica Saliola, 2008. "Power relationships along the value chain: multinational firms, global buyers and performance of local suppliers," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 947-962, November.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 1999. "Coordinating Investment, Production, and Subcontracting," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 954-971, July.
- H. Schmitz & P. Knorringa, 2000. "Learning from Global Buyers," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 177-205.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005.
"Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters," Working Papers 72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Joshua M. Epstein & Robert L. Axtell, 1996. "Growing Artificial Societies: Social Science from the Bottom Up," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550253, June.
- Vicki Bier & Hoa Han & Lorna Zack, 2008. "Models of Interdependent Security along the Milk Supply Chain," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1265-1271.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2001. "Contracting to Assure Supply: How to Share Demand Forecasts in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 629-646, May.
- Kaplan, David & Kaplinsky, Raphael, 1999. "Trade and Industrial Policy on an Uneven Playing Field: The Case of the Deciduous Fruit Canning Industry in South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1787-1801, October.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Matthews, K.B. & Wright, I.A. & Buchan, K. & Davies, D.A. & Schwarz, G., 2006. "Assessing the options for upland livestock systems under CAP reform: Developing and applying a livestock systems model within whole-farm systems analysis," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 32-61, October.
- Marks, Robert, 2006. "Market Design Using Agent-Based Models," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 27, pages 1339-1380 Elsevier.
- Albino, Vito & Carbonara, Nunzia & Giannoccaro, Ilaria, 2007. "Supply chain cooperation in industrial districts: A simulation analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 261-280, February.
- R. Kaplinsky, 2000. "Globalisation and Unequalisation: What Can Be Learned from Value Chain Analysis?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 117-146.
- Beamon, Benita M., 1998. "Supply chain design and analysis:: Models and methods," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 281-294, August.
- Bair, Jennifer & Peters, Enrique Dussel, 2006. "Global commodity chains and endogenous growth: Export dynamism and development in Mexico and Honduras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 203-221, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.