Long-Run Effects From Consumer Reaction To The Spread Of Foodborne Pathogens: The Case Of E. Coli Contamination Of Beef At Jack In The Box Restaurants
Using news coverage of food safety as an indicator of public attention to food pathogen issues in meat products, we found the 1993 E. coli O157:H7 contamination of hamburgers likely permanently changed consumers' perception of beef safety. A food consumption model with rational habit persistence is developed to examine whether consumers make forward-looking consumption decisions accounting for expectations of future food safety. We document clear evidence of forward-looking consumption behavior, which suggests that government regulations implemented subsequent to the 1993 event to protect consumers from ignorance or cognitive defects may be ineffective.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008.
"Consumer and market responses to mad-cow disease,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1023, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Schlenker, Wolfram & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2008. "Consumer and Market Responses to Mad-Cow Disease," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7995j7cm, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Anderson, Gary & Moore, George, 1985. "A linear algebraic procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-252.
- Paolo Zagaglia, 2005. "Solving Rational-Expectations Models through the Anderson-Moore Algorithm: An Introduction to the Matlab Implementation," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 26(1), pages 91-106, August.
- Carter, Colin A. & Smith, Aaron D., 2004. "The Market Effect of a Food Scare: The Case of Genetically Modified StarLink Corn," Working Papers 11997, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Starke, Yolanda & Ralston, Katherine L. & Brent, C. Philip & Riggins, Toija & Lin, Chung-Tung Jordan, 2002. "Consumer Food Safety Behavior: A Case Study In Hamburger Cooking And Ordering," Agricultural Economics Reports 34061, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Nicholas E. Piggott & Thomas L. Marsh, 2004. "Does Food Safety Information Impact U.S. Meat Demand?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 154-174.
- Hall, Alastair R., 2004. "Generalized Method of Moments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198775201, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.