Trust in Label Information to Recuperate Consumer's Confidence for Meat: A Compared Analysis among Canada, Italy, and Spain
The analysis consisted in a field experiment performed by testing the opinions of different consumers groups: two of them located in the European Regions respectively: Friuli-Venezia-Giulia in Italy and Navarra in Spain; a third one located in the Ontario region, Canada. The data were processed by using a multivariate structural equation in the multi-group version. The enquiry was performed in 2003, just after the news about BSE disease were released in some UE countries, and consisted in a regional survey designed ad' hoc and submitted by face to face home made interviews, to collect information about consumer habits, opinions and evidences about trust in the food label. By testing the cross-country consumer's behaviours it was allowed to get evidences of the customers confidence (credence quality), with the information diffused by different markets outlets and in different regions. The conclusions were that the market channels released different amount of information about the risk safety specifically: i) at the hypermarket the information were passed to consumers through the product label (objective trait); ii) at the traditional butcher's it prevailed the trust in the vendor that generated the credence quality in the product (psychological trait). These different consumer's attitudes were translated into behavioural attitudes and decisions to buy the beef meat product.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindquist, Jay D. & Vida, Irena & Plank, Richard E. & Fairhurst, Ann, 2001. "The modified CETSCALE: validity tests in the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 505-516, October.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1998. " Assessing Measurement Invariance in Cross-National Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 78-90, June.
- Klaus G. Grunert, 2005. "Food quality and safety: consumer perception and demand," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 369-391, September.
- Asim Ansari & Kamel Jedidi & Sharan Jagpal, 2000. "A Hierarchical Bayesian Methodology for Treating Heterogeneity in Structural Equation Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4), pages 328-347, August.
- R. Golinelli & R. Orsi, 2001. "Hungary and Poland," Working Papers 424, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Latvala, Terhi & Kola, Jukka, 2004. "Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Additional Information on Food Quality and Safety," 84th Seminar, February 8-11, 2004, Zeist, The Netherlands 24980, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae99:7744. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.