Relationship of Development and Fiscal Indicators with Agricultural Producer Support in the OECD Economies
The paper seeks to quantify the effects of macro development and fiscal indicators on the agricultural producer support in the OECD countries during the period 1986-2009. The study is complementary to the body of microeconomic research that highlights the importance of support to agriculture industry. Data were obtained from the OECD’s Producer and Consumer Support Estimates database and the World Bank’s Word Development Indicators 2010 database. Producer Support Estimate (expressed in absolute value, in percent of total farm receipts - %PSE and per 1 ha of agricultural land) was taken as the dependent variable, whereas selected indicators describing performance of the economies were the independent variables. Simple linear regression analysis was conducted and resulted in many significant associations. In the period analyzed, there was a wide gap between the most and least supporting countries in terms of average %PSE and PSE per ha as well as substantial differences in degree of their inter-temporal variation occurred. Regression findings reveal, among others, that when countries were becoming richer, the %PSE was generally decreasing. Conflicting results were obtained for relationship between the %PSE and unemployment as in some countries it was negative, while in the others positive. Expansionary fiscal policy exerted opposite effects on the PSE in different countries.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inomata, Norio, 1986. "Price Supports And Exchange Rate Adjustments; Implications For Japanese Wheat And Beef Markets, 1960-83," Graduate Research Masters Degree Plan B Papers 11205, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Jonsson, Thomas, 2007. "Collective Action and Common Agricultural Policy Lobbying: Evidence of Euro-Group Influence, 1986-2003," Umeå Economic Studies 713, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Swinnen, Johan F. M. & Banerjee, Anurag N. & Gorter, Harry de, 2001.
"Economic development, institutional change, and the political economy of agricultural protection: An econometric study of Belgium since the 19th century,"
Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 25-43, October.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Banerjee, Anurag N. & Gorter, Harry de, 2001. "Economic development, institutional change, and the political economy of agricultural protection An econometric study of Belgium since the 19th century," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(1), October.
- Michael M. Knetter & Thomas J. Prusa, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
8010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Knetter, Michael M. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003. "Macroeconomic factors and antidumping filings: evidence from four countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Thomas Prusa & Michael Knetter, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," Departmental Working Papers 200023, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Liefert, William M., 2006.
"Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Producer Prices,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25331, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- William M. Liefert, 2011. "Decomposing Changes in Agricultural Producer Prices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 119-136, 02.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Richardson, James W. & Lien, Gudbrand D. & Schumann, Keith D., 2004.
"Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- J. Brian Hardaker & James W. Richardson & Gudbrand Lien & Keith D. Schumann, 2004. "Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 253-270, 06.
- De Gorter, Harry & Swinnen, Johan, 2002. "Political economy of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 36, pages 1893-1943 Elsevier.
- Ashok Mishra & Barry Goodwin, 1998. "Income risk and allocation of labour time: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1549-1555.
- Sven Anders & Johannes Harsche & Roland Herrmann & Klaus Salhofer & Ramona Teuber, 2007. "The Interregional and Intertemporal Allocation of EU Producer Support: Magnitude and Determinants," Review of Regional Research, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 171-193, August.
- repec:tuu:papers:012004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elsholz, Rudiger & Harsche, Johannes, 2008. "Common Agricultural Policy Impacts on Farm Revenues," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44409, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sven Anders & Harsche, Johannes & Roland Herrmann & Klaus Salhofer, 2004.
"Regional income effects of producer support under the CAP,"
Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 73, pages 103-121.
- Anders, Sven & Harsche, Johannes & Herrmann, Roland & Salhofer, Klaus, 2004. "Regional income effects of producer support under the CAP," Cahiers d'Economie et de Sociologie Rurales (CESR), INRA (French National Institute for Agricultural Research), vol. 73.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Political Economy of Agricultural Distortions: The Literature to Date," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50308, World Bank.
- Dutt, Pushan & Mitra, Devashish, 2009. "Explaining Agricultural Distortion Patterns : The Roles of Ideology, Inequality, Lobbying and Public Finance," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 50299, World Bank.
- Timothy Josling & Alberto Valdés, 2004. "Agricultural Policy Indicators," Working Papers 04-04, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Teresa Serra & Barry K. Goodwin & Allen M. Featherstone, 2005. "Agricultural Policy Reform and Off-farm Labour Decisions," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 271-285.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:116009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.