Feasibility of the Income Stabilisation Tool in Finland
Whole-farm income insurances are promoted in the new post-2013 Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The current Crop Damage Compensation (CDC) scheme in Finland covers crop failure for farmers who have suffered losses and applied for the payments. This paper analyses the use of the Income Stabilisation Tool (IST) and compares it to the current CDC scheme in Finland. The Finnish Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN) is used to simulate the costs of IST compensation payments. Special attention is paid to pig farms and their possibilities to manipulate the IST. Results show that the IST is triggered with a high frequency on Finnish farms. The IST would be more costly than the current CDC programme. The results also suggest that the IST would act as an income transfer policy if farmers could influence their annual income. However, the efficiency of the IST as an income transfer policy is questionable due to its large transaction cost.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myyra, Sami & Pietola, Kyosti, 2011. "Testing for Moral Hazard and Ranking Farms by Their Inclination to Collect Crop Damage Compensations," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114632, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brandon Schaufele & James R. Unterschultz & Tomas Nilsson, 2010. "AgriStability with Catastrophic Price Risk for Cow-Calf Producers," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 58(3), pages 361-380, 09.
- Kimura, Shingo & Anton, Jesus, 2011. "Farm Income Stabilization and Risk Management: Some Lessons from AgriStability Program in Canada," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114755, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jesús Antón & Shingo Kimura & Roger Martini, 2011. "Risk Management in Agriculture in Canada," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 40, OECD Publishing.
- James Rude & Alan Ker, 2013. "Transfer Efficiency Analysis of Margin-Based Programs," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 61(4), pages 509-529, December.
- Vincent H. Smith & Barry K. Goodwin, 1996. "Crop Insurance, Moral Hazard, and Agricultural Chemical Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 428-438.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.