Feasibility of the Income Stabilisation Tool in Finland
Whole-farm income insurances are promoted in the new post-2013 Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The current Crop Damage Compensation (CDC) scheme in Finland covers crop failure for farmers who have suffered losses and applied for the payments. This paper analyses the use of the Income Stabilisation Tool (IST) and compares it to the current CDC scheme in Finland. The Finnish Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN) is used to simulate the costs of IST compensation payments. Special attention is paid to pig farms and their possibilities to manipulate the IST. Results show that the IST is triggered with a high frequency on Finnish farms. The IST would be more costly than the current CDC programme. The results also suggest that the IST would act as an income transfer policy if farmers could influence their annual income. However, the efficiency of the IST as an income transfer policy is questionable due to its large transaction cost.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brandon Schaufele & James R. Unterschultz & Tomas Nilsson, 2010. "AgriStability with Catastrophic Price Risk for Cow-Calf Producers," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 58(3), pages 361-380, 09.
- Vincent H. Smith & Barry K. Goodwin, 1996. "Crop Insurance, Moral Hazard, and Agricultural Chemical Use," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 428-438.
- Myyra, Sami & Pietola, Kyosti, 2011. "Testing for Moral Hazard and Ranking Farms by Their Inclination to Collect Crop Damage Compensations," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114632, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jesús Antón & Shingo Kimura & Roger Martini, 2011. "Risk Management in Agriculture in Canada," OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers 40, OECD Publishing.
- Kimura, Shingo & Anton, Jesus, 2011. "Farm Income Stabilization and Risk Management: Some Lessons from AgriStability Program in Canada," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114755, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- James Rude & Alan Ker, 2013. "Transfer Efficiency Analysis of Margin-Based Programs," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 61(4), pages 509-529, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.