Structural Change And Economic Convergence Across The Eu-15 Regions: Can The Agricultural Sector Play a Role?
Economic and agricultural convergence across the EU regions has for a long time attracted the attention of economists and more so in the recent decade following the EU enlargement. Empirical contributions have referred explicitly or implicitly to the Solows model of economic growth testing absolute and conditional b-convergence. The recent literature suggests that the prevailing neoclassical and sectoral approach is not suitable to face the implication of structural change on economic convergence whose understanding is key within the current process of significant marginalization of agriculture and partly of industry in favour of the service sector. In this context the aim of the paper is the understanding the size and evolution of this change, the way in which it has affected aggregate economic convergence and if the agricultural sector has influenced the process despite its small and decreasing contribution to total GDP comparing the results from the neoclassical and Paci, Pigliaru approach
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Fagerberg, 2000.
"Technological Progress, Structural Change and Productivity Growth: A Comparative Study,"
5, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 2000. "Technological progress, structural change and productivity growth: a comparative study," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 393-411, December.
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Gutierrez, Luciano, 2002.
"Why is Agricultural Labour Productivity higher in some countries than others?,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(1), January.
- Gutierrez, Luciano, 2000. "Why Is Agricultural Labour Productivity Higher In Some Countries Than Others?," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21741, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- L Gutierrez, 2000. "Convergence in US and EU agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 187-206, June.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2006. "Disparità regionali e specializzazione produttiva," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2006(1).
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008.
"Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999 : a spatial econometric analysis,"
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999: A spatial econometric analysis," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 219-244, 06.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2003. "Regional Convergence And The Impact Of European Structural Funds Over 1989-1999: A Spatial Econometric Analysis," Urban/Regional 0310005, EconWPA, revised 12 Feb 2004.
- Fabio Canova & Albert Marcet, 1995.
"The poor stay poor: Non-convergence across countries and regions,"
Economics Working Papers
137, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1999.
- Canova, Fabio & Marcet, Albert, 1995. "The Poor Stay Poor: Non-Convergence Across Countries and Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 1265, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brasili Cristina & Oppi Marco, 2003. "Convergenza economica delle Regioni europee ed allargamento ad Est," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 401-440.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aes007:7961. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.