Agriculture and structural change: economic convergence among European regions
Economic and agricultural convergence across the EU regions has long attracted the attention of economists, and even more so over the last decade, following upon EU enlargement. Empirical contributions have referred explicitly or implicitly to the Solow model of economic growth estimating absolute and conditional -convergence. The prevailing neoclassical and sectoral approach is not suitable to address the implications of structural change, understanding of which is crucial within the current process of significant expansion of the service industry . Given this background, the aim of the paper is to gain an understanding of the scale and evolution of this change, how it has affected aggregate economic convergence and whether the agricultural sector has influenced the process despite its small and decreasing contribution to total Gdp.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Paci, 2000. "Convergenza e divergenza tra le regioni europee. Implicazioni per lo sviluppo economico in Sardegna," Working Paper CRENoS 200001, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
9401r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2006. "Disparità regionali e specializzazione produttiva," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2006(1).
- Paci, Raffaele & Pigliaru, Francesco, 1997. "Structural change and convergence: an Italian regional perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 297-318, August.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2000.
"Technological Progress, Structural Change and Productivity Growth: A Comparative Study,"
5, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 2000. "Technological progress, structural change and productivity growth: a comparative study," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 393-411, December.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2003.
"Regional Convergence And The Impact Of European Structural Funds Over 1989-1999: A Spatial Econometric Analysis,"
0310005, EconWPA, revised 12 Feb 2004.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999: A spatial econometric analysis," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 219-244, 06.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999.
"Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1423-1436.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1998. "Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?," ERSA conference papers ersa98p462, European Regional Science Association.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1997. "Is dualism still a source of convergence in Europe?," Working Paper CRENoS 199705, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Marina Murat & Francesco Pigliaru, 1998. "International trade and uneven growth: a model with intersectoral spillovers of knowledge," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 221-236.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- L Gutierrez, 2000. "Convergence in US and EU agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(2), pages 187-206, June.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999.
"European regional growth: do sectors matter?,"
in: Economic Growth and Change, chapter 8
- Sassi, Maria, 2006. "Agricultural Convergence and Competitiveness in the EU-15 Regions," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25632, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- McCombie, J L S, 1981. "What Still Remains of Kaldor's Laws?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 206-16, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.