Estimating The Cost Of Food Safety Regulation To The New Zealand Seafood Industry
In New Zealand, the Animal Products Act 1999 requires all animal product processing businesses to have a HACCP-based risk management program by the end of 2002. This paper attempts to measure the effects of such regulation on the variable cost of production of the New Zealand seafood industry. Using the framework developed by Antle (2000), a model of quality-adjusted translog cost function is estimated using census of production data from 1929 to 1998. Our results show that variable costs could increase from 2% to 22% or from 2 cents to 19 cents per kilogram.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tanya Roberts & Jean C. Buzby & Michael Ollinger, 1996. "Using Benefit and Cost Information to Evaluate a Food Safety Regulation: HACCP for Meat and Poultry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1297-1301.
- John M. Antle, 2000. "No Such Thing as a Free Safe Lunch: The Cost of Food Safety Regulation in the Meat Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 310-322.
- Crutchfield, Stephen R. & Buzby, Jean C. & Roberts, Tanya & Ollinger, Michael & Lin, Chung-Tung Jordan, 1997. "Economic Assessment of Food Safety Regulations: The New Approach to Meat and Poultry Inspection," Agricultural Economics Reports 34009, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1999.
"HACCP in Pork Processing: Costs and Benefits,"
Staff General Research Papers
1632, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helen H. Jensen & Laurian J. Unnevehr, 1999. "HACCP in Pork Processing: Costs and Benefits," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp227, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare03:57840. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.