Costs of Improving Food Safety in the Meat Sector, The
Recently enacted food safety regulations require processors to meet product standards for microbial contamination in meat products. This paper investigates the production function for food safety in meat processing to gain a better understanding of the costs to meat processing firms of changing food safety levels. An analysis of the cost-effectiveness of several technological interventions for microbial control in beef and pork processing shows that marginal improvements in food safety can be obtained, but at increasing costs.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 578 Heady Hall, Ames, Iowa 50011-1070|
Phone: (515) 294-1183
Fax: (515) 294-6336
Web page: http://www.card.iastate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melton, Brian & Huffman, Wallace, 1995.
"Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5043, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bryan E. Melton & Wallace E. Huffman, 1995. "Beef and Pork Packing Costs and Input Demands: Effects of Unionization and Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(3), pages 471-485.
- James M. MacDonald & Stephen Crutchfield, 1996. "Modeling the Costs of Food Safety Regulation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1285-1290.
- Tanya Roberts & Jean C. Buzby & Michael Ollinger, 1996. "Using Benefit and Cost Information to Evaluate a Food Safety Regulation: HACCP for Meat and Poultry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1297-1301.
- Crutchfield, Stephen R. & Buzby, Jean C. & Roberts, Tanya & Ollinger, Michael & Lin, Chung-Tung Jordan, 1997. "Economic Assessment of Food Safety Regulations: The New Approach to Meat and Poultry Inspection," Agricultural Economics Reports 34009, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Helfand, Gloria E, 1991. "Standards versus Standards: The Effects of Different Pollution Restrictions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 622-34, June.
- Morrison, Rosanna Mentzer & Buzby, Jean C. & Lin, C.T. Jordan, 1997. "Irradiating Ground Beef to Enhance Food Safety," Food Review: The Magazine of Food Economics, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, vol. 20(1).
- Marvin L. HAYENGA, 1997. "Cost Structures Of Pork Slaughter And Processing Firms: Behavioral And Performance Implications," Staff Papers 287, Iowa State University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:cpaper:98-wp189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.