The Cost of the U.S. Sugar Program Revisited
We analyze the welfare cost of the U.S. sugar program, using a multimarket model of U.S. sweetener markets, which includes raw crops, sugar extraction and refining, and sweetener users (food-processing industries and final consumers). We address the industrial organization of food industries using sweeteners and treat the United States as a large importer. With the removal of the program, cane growers, sugar beet growers and processors would lose $307, $650, and $89 million (1999 prices), respectively; sweetener users would gain $1.9 billion; World prices would increase by 13.2 percent. The deadweight loss of the program is estimated at $532 million.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock, 2001.
"Implications of the WTO on the Redesign of U.S. Farm Policy,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
01-bp32, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock, 2001. "Implications of the WTO on the Redesign of U.S. Farm Policy," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-bp32, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Rendleman, C. Matthew & Hertel, Thomas W., 1993. "Do Corn Farmers Have Too Much Faith In The Sugar Program?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Sanjib Bhuyan & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 1997. "Oligopoly Power in the Food and Tobacco Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 1035-1043.
- Haley, Stephen L., 1998. "Modeling The U.S. Sweetener Sector: An Application To The Analysis Of Policy Reform," Working Papers 14610, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1990. "Market Power, Economic Profitability and Productivity Growth Measurement: An Integrated Structural Approach," NBER Working Papers 3355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 1998. "Processing Technology, Market Power and Price Transmission," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 185-201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare02:125058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.