Multilateral Trade and Agricultural Policy Reforms in Sugar Markets (Revised)
We analyze the impact of trade liberalization, removal of production subsidies, and elimination of consumption distortions in world sugar markets using a partial-equilibrium international sugar model calibrated on 2002 market data and current policies. The removal of trade distortions alone induces a 27% price increase while the removal of all trade and production distortions induces a 48% increase by 2011/12 relative to the baseline. Aggregate trade expands moderately, but location of production and trade patterns change substantially. Protectionist OECD countries (the EU, Japan, the US) experience an import expansion or export reduction and significant contraction in production in unfettered markets. Competitive producers in both OECD countries (Australia) and non-OECD countries (Brazil, Cuba), and even some protected producers (Indonesia, Turkey), expand production when all distortions are removed. Consumption distortions have marginal impacts on world markets and location of production. We discuss the significance of these results in the context of mounting pressures to increase market access in highly protected OECD countries and the impact on non-OECD countries.
|Date of creation:||26 Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural Economics, April 2006, vol. 57, pp. 23-48|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aksoy, M. Ataman & Beghin, John C., 2005.
"Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12228, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- M. Ataman Aksoy & John C. Beghin, 2005. "Global Agricultural Trade and Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7464, July.
- John C. Beghin & Barbara El Osta & Jay R. Cherlow & Samarendu Mohanty, 2003.
"The Cost Of The U.S. Sugar Program Revisited,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 106-116, 01.
- Beghin, John C. & El Osta, Barbara & Cherlow, Jay R. & Mohanty, Samarendu, 2002. "The Cost of the U.S. Sugar Program Revisited," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125058, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- S¯ren E. Frandsen & Hans G. Jensen & Wusheng Yu & Aage Walter-J¯rgensen, 2003. "Reform of EU sugar policy: price cuts versus quota reductions," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 1-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:12419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.