The impact of the EU sugar trade reform on poor households in developing countries: A general equilibrium analysis
We use a modified version of the applied general equilibrium model GTAP, called GTAPMH, to evaluate the impact of a reduction in the EU's support price for sugar on income distribution of African households. For LDC countries, non-ACP but participant in the EBA initiative a +2% change is indicated in term of income generation across all ten social strata identified within GTAPMH framework, with positive percentage changes in supply prices at household level of endowment commodities, and positive percentage changes in price indices for private household expenditures. The big losers will be those countries that would no longer be able to compete at an international level as a result of the lost preferences.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beghin, John C. & El Osta, Barbara & Cherlow, Jay R. & Mohanty, Samarendu, 2002.
"The Cost of the U.S. Sugar Program Revisited,"
2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra
125058, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Mitchell, Donald, 2004. "Sugar policies opportunity for change," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3222, The World Bank.
- Won W. Koo, 2002. "Alternative U.S. and EU Sugar Trade Liberalization Policies and their Implications," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 336-352.
- L. Alan Winters & Neil McCulloch & Andrew McKay, 2004. "Trade Liberalization and Poverty: The Evidence So Far," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(1), pages 72-115, March.
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Guyomard, Herve & Requillart, Vincent, 2001. "On inefficiencies in the European sugar regime," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 659-667, August.
- Devadoss, Stephen & Kropf, Jurgen, 1996. "Impacts of trade liberalizations under the Uruguay round on the world sugar market," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 83-96, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:33:y:2011:i:4:p:568-582. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.