Information Value And Risk Premium In Agricultural Production Under Risk: The Case Of Split Nitrogen Application For Corn
This paper considers an agricultural production model of sequential nitrogen application under risk. Because of random shocks between successive production stages, optimal fertilization decisions depend on the magnitude of farmers' risk aversion (risk premium), and the possibility for farmers to process information (value of information). We propose a joint estimation procedure of technology and risk aversion parameters, using a structural, simulation-based econometric technique. Parameter estimates for the representative farmer's utility function allow to compute both the value of information and the risk premium for farmers. Those account together for about 30 percent of fertilizer cost for Midwest corn producers.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lambert, David K., 1990. "Risk Considerations In The Reduction Of Nitrogen Fertilizer Use In Agricultural Production," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1993. "Sequential Labor Decisions under Uncertainty: An Estimable Household Model of West-African Farmers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1173-97, September.
- Feinerman, Eli & Choi, E. Kwan & Johnson, Stanley R., 1990. "Uncertainty and Split Nitrogen Application in Corn Production," Staff General Research Papers 10598, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eli Feinerman & E. Kwan Choi & Stanley R. Johnson, 1990. "Uncertainty and Split Nitrogen Application in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(4), pages 975-985.
- Feinerman, Eli & Kwan, E. & Johnson, Stanley R., 1990. "Uncertainty and Split Nitrogen Application in Corn Production," Staff General Research Papers 328, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea98:20844. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.