Engaging Students In Research: The Use Of Structured Professional Dialogue
Graduate students frequently have difficulty defining, developing, and resolving research problems in a manner consistent with the agricultural economics community. Here, we report on a seminar designed to assist graduate students integrate subject matter courses into independent research proposals through participation in professional dialogue. Professional dialogue involves developing arguments to explain and resolve questions where the explanations are supported by warranted evidence and appropriately qualified. The premise of the seminar is that more active problem solvers are developed using professional dialogue to sharpen critical thinking and writing skills.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hennessy, David A. & Babcock, Bruce A., 1998. "Information, Flexibility, and Value Added," Staff General Research Papers 1362, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Garcia, Philip, 2001. "Unobserved Heterogeneity: Evidence and Implications for SMEs' Hedging Behavior," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18955, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Thomas, Alban & Bontems, Philippe, 1998. "Information Value And Risk Premium In Agricultural Production Under Risk: The Case Of Split Nitrogen Application For Corn," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20844, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hansen, W Lee, 1991. "The Education and Training of Economics Doctorates: Major Findings of the Executive Secretary of the American Economic Association's Commission on Graduate Education in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1054-87, September.
- Sergio H. Lence, 1995.
"The Economic Value of Minimum-Variance Hedges,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(2), pages 353-364.
- Sergio H. Lence & Dermot J. Hayes, 1993.
"Optimal Hedging under Forward-Looking Behavior,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
93-wp108, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Joaquín Arias & B. Wade Brorsen & Ardian Harri, 2000. "Optimal hedging under nonlinear borrowing cost, progressive tax rates, and liquidity constraints," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 375-396, 04.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Eidman, Vernon R., 1998.
"The Effect Of Risk And Autonomy On Independent Hog Producers' Contracting Decisions,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Eidman, Vernon R., 1998. "The Effect of Risk and Autonomy on Independent Hog Producers' Contracting Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 175-188, July.
- B. Wade Brorsen, 1995. "Optimal Hedge Ratios with Risk-Neutral Producers and Nonlinear Borrowing Costs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 174-181.
- Robert A. Collins, 1997. "Toward a Positive Economic Theory of Hedging," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 488-499.
- Krueger, Anne O, et al, 1991. "Report of the Commission on Graduate Education in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1035-53, September.
- Carter, Colin A., 1999. "Commodity futures markets: a survey," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(2).
- Isengildina, Olga & Hudson, Darren, 2001. "Factors Affecting Hedging Decisions Using Evidence from the Cotton Industry," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18970, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:21894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.