Consumers’ Attitudes towards Country of Origin Labeling for Sugar
Given the ongoing debate regarding country of origin labeling (COOL) for certain agricultural products, it is very important to understand why certain consumers prefer COOL. Utilizing a consumer survey, 566 participants’ preferences for COOL for sugar and for sugar in soft drinks was analyzed. Using a bivariate ordered probit model, it was discovered that high levels of consumer ethnocentrism and consumer patriotism positively impacted consumers’ preference that sugar and sugar in soft drinks should be labeled with country of origin information.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2005.
"Assessing Consumer Preferences for Country-of-Origin Labeling,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 49-63, April.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2005. "Assessing Consumer Preferences for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Greene,William H. & Hensher,David A., 2010.
"Modeling Ordered Choices,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521142373, December.
- Colin Carter & Barry Krissoff & Alix Peterson Zwane, 2006. "Can Country-of-Origin Labeling Succeed as a Marketing Tool for Produce? Lessons from Three Case Studies," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(4), pages 513-530, December.
- Grebitus, Carola & Yue, Chengyan & Bruhn, Maike & Jensen, Helen H., 2012.
"Perceived quality on organic and conventional pork consumption,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
35612, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Grebitus, Carola & Yue, Chengyan & Jensen, Helen H., 2012. "Perceived quality on organic and conventional pork consumption," Staff General Research Papers Archive 36007, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Jason Brown & Tyler Mark & Idlir Proseku & Rachel Thompson & Jody Welsh, 2006. "Consumer Behavior, Public Policy, and Country-of-Origin Labeling," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(2), pages 284-292.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.