Differential Effects of Food Security Policies on Subsistence Farmers and the Urban Poor
The Global Food Price Crisis of 2007-2011 had mixed effects on the poor in developing nations. By some estimates, the Crisis lifted nearly 24 million poor farmers out of poverty; however, it also cast 68 million net food buyers into poverty. In this paper, we analyze the distributional impacts of the Crisis and the merits of different food security policies proposed to address it, focusing on policies that employ buffer stock reserves, direct cash transfers, emergency export bans, and transportation infrastructure enhancements. Of special interest are how the impacts of these policies differ among the rural and urban poor and between importing and exporting countries. Our analysis is based on a stylized stochastic dynamic heterogeneous agent model of a developing country exposed to aggregate food production and world food price risk that is populated by rural and urban poor who suffer from "malnutrition" whenever their resources are insufficient to meet basic nutritional needs.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Wesley W. Wilson, 2008. "Port Efficiency and Trade Flows," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 21-36, 02.
- David Coady & Paul Dorosh & Bart Minten, 2008.
"Evaluating Alternative Policy Responses to Higher World Food Prices: The Case of Increasing Rice Prices in Madagascar,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 711-722.
- Coady,David & Dorosh,Paul & Minten,Bart, 2008. "Evaluating alternative policy responses to higher world food prices: The case of increasing rice prices in Madagascar," IFPRI discussion papers 780, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Milan Brahmbhatt & Luc Christiaensen, 2008. "Rising Food Prices in East Asia : Challenges and Policy Options," World Bank Other Operational Studies 19521, The World Bank.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2012.
"Impacts of large-scale expansion of biofuels on global poverty and income distribution,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6078, The World Bank.
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Timilsina, Govinda R. & Mevel, Simon, 2010. "Impacts Of Large Scale Expansion Of Biofuels On Global Poverty And Income Distribution," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91279, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Christophe Gouel & Sébastien Jean, 2012.
"Optimal Food Price Stabilization in a Small Open Developing Country,"
2012-01, CEPII research center.
- Christophe Gouel & SÃ©bastien Jean, 2015. "Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country," Working Papers 274047, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Gouel, Christophe & Jean, Sebastien, 2012. "Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5943, The World Bank.
- Aksoy , M. Ataman & Isik-Dikmelik, Aylin, 2008. "Are low food prices pro-poor ? net food buyers and sellers in low-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4642, The World Bank.
- Valero-Gil, Jorge & Valero, Magali, 2008.
"The effects of rising food prices on poverty in Mexico,"
10221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorge N. Valero-Gil & Magali Valero, 2008. "The effects of rising food prices on poverty in Mexico," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 485-496, November.
- Martin, Will & Anderson, Kym, 2011.
"Export restrictions and price insulation during commodity price booms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5645, The World Bank.
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2012. "Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 422-427.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2011. "Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms," CEPR Discussion Papers 8494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arndt, Channing & Benfica, Rui & Maximiano, Nelson & Nucifora, Antonio M.D. & Thurlow, James, 2008. "Higher fuel and food prices: Economic impacts and responses for Mozambique," IFPRI discussion papers 836, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Paul Dorosh, 2009. "Price stabilization, international trade and national cereal stocks: world price shocks and policy response in South Asia," The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 137-149, June.
- Channing Arndt & Rui Benfica & Nelson Maximiano & Antonio M. D. Nucifora & James T. Thurlow, 2008. "Higher fuel and food prices: impacts and responses for Mozambique," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 497-511, November.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos Demetriades & Edgar Morgenroth, 1996.
"Infrastructure, Transport Costs and Trade,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
96/7, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Jos� Cuesta, 2011. "A Qualitative Analysis of Policymaking on the Food Price Crisis in the Andean Region: Preparing for the Next Crisis," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 72-93, February.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1982. "The Economic Role of Commodity Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 596-614, September.
- Wodon, Quentin & Tsimpo, Clarence & Coulombe, Harold, 2008. "Assessing the potential impact on poverty of rising cereals prices : the case of Ghana," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4740, The World Bank.
- Larson, Donald F. & Lampietti, Julian & Gouel, Christophe & Cafiero, Carlo & Roberts, John, 2012. "Food security and storage in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6031, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:149736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.