Trade Engagement and Producer Performance
Models of international trade increasingly emphasize the trade decisions of individual firms or plants. These decisions take two different forms: where to source inputs (import decisions) and where to sell output (export decisions). In the literature, these decisions are rarely considered jointly. This paper analyzes the extent to which there are complementarities between importing and exporting and quantifies the effects of trade status on producer performance. We develop an analytically tractable general equilibrium model of firms’ trade decisions that incorporates both decisions simultaneously. Our model quantitatively captures many important features of plant-level manufacturing data, including the size distribution and the large performance advantage associated with trade engagement.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Mark J. Gibson & Kim J. Ruhl & Claustre Bajona, 2008.
"Trade liberalization growth and productivity,"
2008 Meeting Papers
789, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kasahara, Hiroyuki & Lapham, Beverly, 2013.
"Productivity and the decision to import and export: Theory and evidence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 297-316.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Beverly Lapham, 2008. "Productivity and the Decision to Import and Export: Theory and Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2240, CESifo Group Munich.
- Davide Castellani & Francesco Serti & Chiara Tomasi, 2010. "Firms in International Trade: Importers' and Exporters' Heterogeneity in Italian Manufacturing Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 424-457, 03.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, 2007.
"Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm: Evidence from Belgium,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0801, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mirabelle Mu�ls & Mauro Pisu, 2009. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm: Evidence from Belgium," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5), pages 692-734, 05.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Imports and Exports at the Level of the Firm : Evidence from Belgium," Working Paper Research 114, National Bank of Belgium.
- Mirabelle Muuls & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Imports and exports at the level of the firm: evidence from Belgium," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19711, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mirabelle Muûls & Mauro Pisu, . "Imports and exports at the level of the firm: Evidence from Belgium," Discussion Papers 07/28, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 2003.
"An Evaluation of the Performance of Applied General Equilibrium Models of the Impact of NAFTA,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000525, David K. Levine.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 2003. "An evaluation of the performance of applied general equilibrium models of the impact of NAFTA," Staff Report 320, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Brent Neiman & Gita Gopinath, 2011.
"Trade Adjustment and Productivity in Large Crises,"
2011 Meeting Papers
975, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gita Gopinath & Brent Neiman, 2011. "Trade Adjustment and Productivity in Large Crises," NBER Working Papers 16958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gopinath, Gita & Neiman, Brent, 2014. "Trade Adjustment and Productivity in Large Crises," Scholarly Articles 12330899, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gita Gopinath & Brent Neiman, 2011. "Trade adjustment and productivity in large crises," Working Papers 11-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Massimo Del Gatto & Giordano Mion & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2006.
"Trade Integration, Firm Selection and the Costs of Non-Europe,"
Development Working Papers
218, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Del Gatto, Massimo & Mion, Giordano & Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 2006. "Trade Integration, Firm Selection and the Costs of Non-Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 5730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- DEL GATTO, Massimo & MION, Giordano & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P., 2006. "Trade integration, firm selection and the costs of non-Europe," CORE Discussion Papers 2006061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- M. Del Gatto & G. Mion & GIP. Ottaviano, 2007. "Trade Integration, Firm Selection and the Costs of Non-Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 200703, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Maurice Kugler & Eric Verhoogen, 2009. "Plants and Imported Inputs: New Facts and an Interpretation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 501-07, May.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Kim J. Ruhl, 2008.
"Are Shocks to the Terms of Trade Shocks to Productivity?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 804-819, October.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Kim J. Ruhl, 2007. "Are Shocks to the Terms of Trade Shocks to Productivity?," NBER Working Papers 13111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Kim Ruhl, 2008. "Data Appendix to "Are Shocks to the Terms of Trade Shocks to Productivity?"," Technical Appendices 07-40, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Kim J. Ruhl, 2007. "Are shocks to the terms of trade shocks to productivity?," Staff Report 391, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Liu, Lili, 1993. "Entry-exit, learning, and productivity change Evidence from Chile," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 217-242, December.
- Ananth Ramanarayanan, 2007. "International Trade Dynamics with Intermediate Inputs," 2007 Meeting Papers 722, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Joel Rodrigue, 2005.
"Does the Use of Imported Intermediates Increase Productivity? Plant-Level Evidence,"
University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers
20057, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Kasahara, Hiroyuki & Rodrigue, Joel, 2008. "Does the use of imported intermediates increase productivity? Plant-level evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 106-118, August.
- Joel Rodrigue & Hiroyuki Kasahara, 2004. "Does the Use of Imported Intermediates Increase Productivity? Plant-Level Evidence," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 511, Econometric Society.
- Mark J. Gibson & Tim A. Graciano, 2011. "The Decision to Import," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(2), pages 444-449.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124833. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.