Constructing Farm Level Yield Densities from Aggregated Data: Analysis and Comparison of Approaches
Yield variability can be significantly higher at the farm level than at more aggregated levels, including the county. However, due to a dearth of available farm level data, much stochastic analysis involving farm yields utilizes more aggregated yield data as a proxy for the farm level. We empirically evaluate farm-level variability using longitudinal farm level data sets available from the Kansas Farm Management Association and the Illinois Farm Business and Farm Management Association. For corn, soybeans, and wheat, we compare the farm level yield variability obtained from this data to that inferred from Federal crop insurance premiums. The farm management data exhibit lower yield variability than are implied by the crop insurance premiums.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooper, Joseph, 2009.
"Payments under the Average Crop Revenue Program: Implications for Government Costs and Producer Preferences,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 49-64, April.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2009. "Payments under the Average Crop Revenue Program: Implications for Government Costs and Producer Preferences," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Barry K. Goodwin, 2009. "Payment Limitations and Acreage Decisions under Risk Aversion: A Simulation Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 19-41.
- repec:oup:revage:v:30:y:2008:i:3:p:543-553. is not listed on IDEAS
- Keith H. Coble & Robert Dismukes, 2008. "Distributional and Risk Reduction Effects of Commodity Revenue Program Design ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 543-553.
- Langemeier, Michael R., 2005. "Comparison of 2002 Census and KFMA Farms," Staff Papers 117977, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.