Farmland Values, Government Payments, and the Overall Risk to U.S. Agriculture: A Structural Equation-Latent Variable Model
According to Ricardian rent theory, the value of farm assets is equal to the discounted present value of future expected net rents from farm returns, and the discounted expected value of the land if converted to nonfarm development. Some recent research has considered modifying this standard present value model by acknowledging that returns from the market may be discounted at a different interest rate than returns from government payments (Goodwin, Mishra, and Ortal-Magne) and also that the discount rate itself may be time-varying. However, very little research has considered how changes in the overall risk to agriculture may affect farmland values. An exception is Moss, Shonkwiler and Schmitz (2004). We use time series panel data from the USDA for United States, 1960-2004 and a structural equations model with latent variables for the rate of return on farm assets and for the real risk-adjusted interest rate. We find that a secondary effect of agricultural policies that reduces the overall risk to agriculture may increase farmland values (and thus farm sector wealth). Government payments are offsetting the negative impact of high volatility of returns to farming.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio H. Lence & Ashok K. Mishra, 2003.
"The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 753-761.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003. "The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11470, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Investment and Hysteresis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 107-132, Winter.
- Bjornson, Bruce & Innes, Robert, 1992. "Risk And Return In Agriculture: Evidence From An Explicit-Factor Arbitrage Pricing Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & François N. Ortalo-Magné, 2003. "What's Wrong with Our Models of Agricultural Land Values?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 744-752.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Carmen L. Sandretto, 2002. "Stability of Farm Income and the Role of Nonfarm Income in U.S. Agriculture," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 208-221. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.