Behavior of subsistence producers in response to technological change- The elasticity of cassava production and home consumption in Benin
The welfare effects of GM (genetic modification)-led productivity growth for cassava producers are partly affected by the characteristics of individual cassava producing households. Those household characteristics include the elasticity of production and home consumption of cassava. Some studies assume the inelastic home consumption when conducting ex-ante welfare effects analysis for subsistence crops. This study modifies the estimation methods used in the past literature to estimate both elasticities using the dataset from Benin. Several assumptions are also tested regarding the heterogeneity of cassava producers. On estimation of elasticities, the paper tests the hypothesis that on-farm sellers are characteristically different from off-farm sellers by employing the double hurdle model. The findings contribute to the literatures analyzing the distributional effects of welfare effects from GM-led productivity growth for cassava, which are gaining importance in the context of the policy impacts on poverty reduction.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Vakis, Renos & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2003.
"Measuring transactions costs from observed behavior : market choices in Peru,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
962, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Vakis, Renos & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2003. "Measuring Transactions Costs from Observed Behavior: Market Choices in Peru," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7p81h66q, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Christian H.C.A. Henning & Arne Henningsen, 2007. "Modeling Farm Households' Price Responses in the Presence of Transaction Costs and Heterogeneity in Labor Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 665-681.
- Dolton, P. J. & Makepeace, G. H., 1987. "Interpreting sample selection effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 373-379.
- Qaim, Matin, 2001. "A prospective evaluation of biotechnology in semi-subsistence agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 165-175, September.
- Marc F. Bellemare & Christopher B. Barrett, 2006.
"An Ordered Tobit Model of Market Participation: Evidence from Kenya and Ethiopia,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 324-337.
- Bellemare, Marc F. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2005. "An Ordered Tobit Model of Market Participation: Evidence from Kenya and Ethiopia," Working Papers 14748, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni & Minten, Bart, 2005.
"Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 406-442, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin & Bart Minten, 2002. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," CSAE Working Paper Series 2002-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin & Bart Minten, 2004. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," Development and Comp Systems 0409020, EconWPA.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minten, Bart, 2003. "Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade," MTID discussion papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin, 2002. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2002-18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004.
"Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Renkow, Mitch & Hallstrom, Daniel G. & Karanja, Daniel D., 2004. "Rural infrastructure, transactions costs and market participation in Kenya," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 349-367, February.
- Qaim, Matin, 2001. "A prospective evaluation of biotechnology in semi -subsistence agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(2-3), September.
- Catsiapis, George & Robinson, Chris, 1982. "Sample selection bias with multiple selection rules : An application to student aid grants," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 351-368, April.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Heltberg, R. & Tarp, F., 2002.
"Agricultural supply response and poverty in Mozambique,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Heltberg, Rasmus & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Agricultural Supply Response and Poverty in Mozambique," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.