Preparing Food at Home: What is the Labor Cost?
Food demand is an important component of the agricultural sector and much food preparation occurs in the home. While there is much information about the market cost of food, there has been no information about the preparation cost of food at home because there has been no data available on the quantity of time spent in food preparation. Using newly released time diary data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this paper provides the first known estimates of the cost of time in food preparation at home. We also consider a demographic profile comparable with someone who may be on Food Stamps and following the recipes based on the USDA Thrifty Food Plan, which is designed to help low income groups on Food Stamps.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1987.
"Home production -- A survey,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 273-304
- Reuben Gronau & R. Layard, . "Home Production - A Survey," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 85-2, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, June.
- Reuben Gronau, 1976.
"Leisure, Home Production and Work--The Theory of The Allocation of Time Revisited,"
NBER Working Papers
0137, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1977. "Leisure, Home Production, and Work-The Theory of the Allocation of Time Revisited," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1099-1123, December.
- Rodolfo Nayga, 1998. "A sample selection model for prepared food expenditures," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 345-352.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.