Economics of Meat Production from the Springbuck in the Eastern Cape Karoo
The feasibility of springbuck based meat production in the EC Karoo was analysed through a stochastic budgeting model, while overtly taking cost and price risk into consideration. Monte Carlo simulation of a springbuck based meat production enterprise was used to quantify the risks that would be faced by springbuck ranchers. Springbuck ranching has been proven a viable alternative in the production of highly nutritious and healthy meat (venison) that is on high demand in European markets and more recently with a promising and growing local demand as well. The results indicate that in the Eastern Cape Karoo, springbuck ranching for meat production is a viable business. As the call for more environmentally friendlier rangelands utilisation economic systems intensifies, rangelands owners in the EC Karoo have a practicable option. At the very least, an alternative to broaden their incomes with springbuck based meat production exists.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya|
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org
More information through EDIRC
Web page: http://www.aeasa.org.za/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gill, Robert Chope, II & Richardson, James W. & Outlaw, Joe L. & Anderson, David P., 2003. "An Analysis Of Ethanol Production In Texas Using Three Ethanol Facility Sizes And Their Relative Optimal Subsidy Levels," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35003, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Grove, Bennie & Taljaard, Pieter R. & Cloete, Philip C., 2007. "A Stochastic Budgeting Analysis of Three Alternative Scenarios to Convert from Beef-Cattle Farming to Game Ranching," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Outlaw, Joe L. & Ribera, Luis A. & Richardson, James W. & Silva, Jorge da & Bryant, Henry & Klose, Steven L., 2007. "Economics of Sugar-Based Ethanol Production and Related Policy Issues," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 357-363, August.
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure For Estimating And Simulating Multivariate Empirical (Mve) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment And Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Perrings, Charles & Walker, Brian, 1997. "Biodiversity, resilience and the control of ecological-economic systems: the case of fire-driven rangelands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 73-83, July.
- Richardson, James W. & Herbst, Brian K. & Outlaw, Joe L. & Gill, Robert Chope, II, 2007. "Including Risk in Economic Feasibility Analyses: The Case of Ethanol Production in Texas," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 25(2).
- Richardson, James W. & Lemmer, Wessel J. & Outlaw, Joe L., 2007. "Bio-ethanol Production from Wheat in the Winter Rainfall Region of South Africa: A Quantitative Risk Analysis," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 10(02).
- Richardson, James W. & Mapp, Harry P., Jr., 1976. "Use Of Probabilistic Cash Flows In Analyzing Investments Under Conditions Of Risk And Uncertainty," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Richardson, James W. & Mapp, Harry P., 1976. "Use of Probabilistic Cash Flows in Analyzing Investments Under Conditions of Risk and Uncertainty," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 19-24, December.
- Outlaw, Joe L. & Ribera, Luis A. & Richardson, James W. & da Silva, Jorge & Bryant, Henry L. & Klose, Steven L., 2007. "Economics of Sugar-Based Ethanol Production and Related Policy Issues," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(02), August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaae10:96181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.