Examining the Evidence of Purchasing Power Parity by Recursive Mean Adjustment
This paper revisits the empirical evidence of purchasing power parity under the current float by recursive mean adjustment (RMA) proposed by So and Shin (1999). We first report superior power of the RMA-based unit root test in finite samples relative to the conventional augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) test via Monte Carlo experiments for 16 linear and nonlinear autoregressive data generating processes. We find that the more powerful RMA-based unit root test rejects the null hypothesis of a unit root for 16 out of 20 current float real exchange rates relative to the US dollar, while the ADF test rejects only 5 at the 10% significance level. We also find that the computationally simple RMA-based asymptotic confidence interval can provide useful information regarding the half-life of the real exchange rate.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0326 Haley Center, Auburn University, AL 36849-5049|
Phone: (334) 844-4910
Fax: (334) 844-4615
Web page: http://cla.auburn.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donggyu Sul & Peter C.B. Phillips & Choi, Chi-Young, 2003.
"Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1436, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sul, Donggyu & Phillips, Peter & Choi, Chi-Young, 2003. "Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation," Working Papers 141, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Chi-Young Choi & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm426, Yale School of Management.
- Cook, Steven, 2002. "Correcting size distortion of the Dickey-Fuller test via recursive mean adjustment," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 75-79, November.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-65, January.
- Murray, Christian J. & Papell, David H., 2002.
"The purchasing power parity persistence paradigm,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2000. "The Purchasing Power Parity Persistence Paradigm," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0017, Econometric Society.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Small-Sample Confidence Intervals For Impulse Response Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 218-230, May.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Chen, Hong-Yuan, 1994. "Approximately Median-Unbiased Estimation of Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204, April.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Stern, Liliana V. & Stern, Michael L., 2010. "Half-life bias correction and the G7 stock markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 1-3, October.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1999.
"The Grid Bootstrap And The Autoregressive Model,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 594-607, November.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Chi-Young Choi & Nelson C. Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2010. "Bias Reduction in Dynamic Panel Data Models by Common Recursive Mean Adjustment," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(5), pages 567-599, October.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Dynamic panel estimation and homogeneity testing under cross section dependence *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 217-259, 06.
- Lutz Kilian, 1999. "Finite-Sample Properties of Percentile and Percentile-t Bootstrap Confidence Intervals for Impulse Responses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 652-660, November.
- Rossi, Barbara, 2005.
"Confidence Intervals for Half-Life Deviations From Purchasing Power Parity,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 432-442, October.
- Rossi, Barbara, 2002. "Confidence Intervals for Half-life Deviations from Purchasing Power Parity," Working Papers 02-08, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2000.
"A Century of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
NBER Working Papers
8012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Alastair R, 1994. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series with Pretest Data-Based Model Selection," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 461-70, October.
- Taylor, A M Robert, 2002. "Regression-Based Unit Root Tests with Recursive Mean Adjustment for Seasonal and Nonseasonal Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 269-81, April.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Chi-Young Choi & Young-Kyu Moh, 2007. "How useful are tests for unit-root in distinguishing unit-root processes from stationary but non-linear processes?," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 82-112, 03.
- So, Beong Soo & Shin, Dong Wan, 1999. "Recursive mean adjustment in time-series inferences," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 65-73, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:abn:wpaper:auwp2010-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hyeongwoo Kim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.