Achieving Better Service Delivery through Decentralization in Ethiopia
This report seeks to identify changes in human development outcomes in a period of deepening decentralization and to suggest how the country's decentralized governance structure will be improved to increase access to, as well as the quality of, relevant services. The report states decentralized governance structure helped facilitate improvements in service delivery and human development outcomes. The report argues that while policymakers, providers, and citizens must work together to strengthen accountability mechanisms, there is a particular need to strengthen local government and enhance the role of service. The report focuses on key actors and their roles in accelerating progress toward achieving the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs) in Ethiopia. The report provides feedback from users of public services on access to, quality of, and adequacy of services. Improvements in health and education outcomes in the past 15 years occurred at a time of massive decentralization in Ethiopia.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6362 and published in 2008.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christiaensen, Luc & Alderman, Harold, 2004. "Child Malnutrition in Ethiopia: Can Maternal Knowledge Augment the Role of Income?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 287-312, January.
- Magnus Lindelow & Pieter Serneels & Teigist Lemma, 2005.
"The Performance of Health Workers in Ethiopia Results from Qualitative Research,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2005-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Lindelow, Magnus & Serneels, Pieter, 2006. "The performance of health workers in Ethiopia: Results from qualitative research," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(9), pages 2225-2235, May.
- Lindelow, Magnus & Serneels, Pieter & Lemma, Teigist, 2005. "The performance of health workers in Ethiopia - results from qualitative research," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3558, The World Bank.
- Pieter Serneels, 2005. "The Performance of Health Workers in Ethiopia,Results from Qualitative Research," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:6362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.