Sustainable and balanced development of insular space: the case of Greece
Islands, as unique ecosystems, are characterized by a particular sensitivity that affects all the fundamental dimensions of the sustainable development. Thus, highlighting the particularities of the operation of these ecosystems is of considerable importance. This helps to determine the factors and limitations of stability regarding insular ecosystems. All these issues are analysed in this paper. Since they are related to a case study of the Greek insular space, the formulation of a strategic framework for the sustainable and balanced development of the islands is discussed. This strategy is structured by specific priority axes that aim at tackling limitations and expanding the production base, as well as social development. The policies and mechanisms put in place in order to facilitate these priorities are presented too, as well as the necessary supportive and institutional actions. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Short, 2008. "Sustainable development in Rwanda: industry and government," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 56-69.
- Conway, Gordon R., 1987. "The properties of agroecosystems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 95-117.
- Noni M. Georges, 2006. "Solid waste as an indicator of sustainable development in Tortola, British Virgin Islands," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 126-138.
- Nicolas Grosjean & Olivier Crevoisier, 2003. "Autonomie différenciée des systèmes de production territoriaux," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(2), pages 291-315.
- Artur Pawłowski, 2008. "How many dimensions does sustainable development have?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 81-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:sustdv:v:17:y:2009:i:6:p:365-377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.