Sustainable and balanced development of insular space: the case of Greece
Islands, as unique ecosystems, are characterized by a particular sensitivity that affects all the fundamental dimensions of the sustainable development. Thus, highlighting the particularities of the operation of these ecosystems is of considerable importance. This helps to determine the factors and limitations of stability regarding insular ecosystems. All these issues are analysed in this paper. Since they are related to a case study of the Greek insular space, the formulation of a strategic framework for the sustainable and balanced development of the islands is discussed. This strategy is structured by specific priority axes that aim at tackling limitations and expanding the production base, as well as social development. The policies and mechanisms put in place in order to facilitate these priorities are presented too, as well as the necessary supportive and institutional actions. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Short, 2008. "Sustainable development in Rwanda: industry and government," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 56-69.
- Nicolas Grosjean & Olivier Crevoisier, 2003. "Autonomie différenciée des systèmes de production territoriaux," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(2), pages 291-315.
- Artur Pawłowski, 2008. "How many dimensions does sustainable development have?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 81-90.
- Conway, Gordon R., 1987. "The properties of agroecosystems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 95-117.
- Noni M. Georges, 2006. "Solid waste as an indicator of sustainable development in Tortola, British Virgin Islands," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 126-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:sustdv:v:17:y:2009:i:6:p:365-377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.