A real-option rationale for investing in excess capacity
Excess capacity is expensive, yet persistent excess capacity is widely observed in the corporate sector. Using a real-option approach to capacity planning, this paper shows that under certain conditions it is optimal to invest in long-term (even permanent) excess capacity. This results from the asymmetric nature of operating flexibility resulting from excess capacity-the ability to increase output under favorable demand shocks. The model is used to identify conditions under which excess capacity is more likely to be optimal. The implications are generally consistent with existing empirical evidence from studies on excess capacity and capacity utilization. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 30 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fagnart, Jean-Francois & Licandro, Omar & Sneessens, Henri R., 1997.
"Capacity utilization and market power,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 123-140, November.
- Fagnart, J.-Fr. & Licandro, O. & Sneessens, H. R., 1995. "Capacity Utilization and Market Power," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996006, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- J-Fr. Fagnart & Omar Licandro & H. R. Sneessens, . "Capacity utilization and market power," Working Papers 96-12, FEDEA.
- Smiley, Robert, 1988. "Empirical evidence on strategic entry deterrence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 167-180.
- Bar-Ilan, Avner & Strange, William C., 1999. "The Timing and Intensity of Investment," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 57-77, January.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2005.
"Direct and Indirect Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing,"
2005-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2006. "Direct And Indirect Measures Of Capacity Utilization: A Non-Parametric Analysis Of Us Manufacturing," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 526-548, 07.
- H. Kim, 1999. "Economic Capacity Utilization and its Determinants: Theory and Evidence," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 321-339, December.
- He, Hua. & Pindyck, Robert S., 1989.
"Investments in flexible production capacity,"
2102-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002.
"Capacity utilisation and profitability: A decomposition of short-run profit efficiency,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 261-278, October.
- COELLI, Tim & GRIFELL-TATJE, Emili & PERELMAN, Sergio, 2001. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: a decomposition of short run profit efficiency," CORE Discussion Papers 2001052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
- E. Abdul Azeez, 2002. "Economic reforms and industrial performance: An analysis of capacity utilisation in Indian manufacturing," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 334, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Winston, Gordon C, 1974. "The Theory of Capital Utilization and Idleness," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 1301-20, December.
- Felipe L. Aguerrevere, 2003. "Equilibrium Investment Strategies and Output Price Behavior: A Real-Options Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(4), pages 1239-1272.
- Esposito, Frances Ferguson & Esposito, Louis, 1974. "Excess Capacity and Market Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(2), pages 188-94, May.
- Lieberman, Marvin B., 1989. "Capacity utilization: Theoretical models and empirical tests," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 155-168, May.
- Carol Corrado & Joe Mattey, 1997. "Capacity Utilization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 151-167, Winter.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1991.
"Irreversibility and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lieberman, Marvin B, 1987. "Excess Capacity as a Barrier to Entry: An Empirical Appraisal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 607-27, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:30:y:2009:i:2:p:119-133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.