Capacity Utilization and Market Power
In a monopolistic competition framework, we propose a dynamic model in which capacity underutilization ia a macroeconomic equilibrium feature relying on a diversity of microeconomic situations. Capacity underutilization follows from microeconomic demand uncertainty at the time firms must decide on their productive capacity. We settle a relationship between capacity utilization and markups via the effect of capacity utilization rate changes on firms’ market power. We show that such a relationship influences significantly the short run response of the economy to exogenous shocks. In particular, the same shock can have quite different short run effects depending on the characteristics of the initial stationary state (low or high capacity utilization rate).
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Omar LICANDRO, 1995. "A Non-Walrasian General Equilibrium Model with Monopolistic Competition and Wage Bargaining," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 37-38, pages 237-253.
- Jordi Galí, 1993.
"Monopolistic competition, business cycles and the composition of aggregate demand,"
Economics Working Papers
45, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gali Jordi, 1994. "Monopolistic Competition, Business Cycles, and the Composition of Aggregate Demand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 73-96, June.
- Gali, J., 1991. "Monopolistic Competition, Business Cycles and the Composition of Aggregate Demand," Papers 92-03, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Jean-Pierre LAFFARGUE, 1990. "Résolution d'un modèle macroéconomique avec anticipations rationnelles," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 17, pages 97-119.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1991. "Markups and the Business Cycle," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 63-140 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boucekkine, Raouf, 1995. "An alternative methodology for solving nonlinear forward-looking models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 711-734, May.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1990.
"Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
3556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1989. "Market Size and Substitutability in Imperfect Competition: A Bertrand-Edgeworth-Chamberlin Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 217-34, April.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994.
"Factor Hoarding and the Propagation of Business Cycles Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
4675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1996. "Factor-Hoarding and the Propagation of Business-Cycle Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1154-74, December.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D & Prescott, Edward C, 1995.
"Equilibrium Business Cycles with Idle Resources and Variable Capacity Utilization,"
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 35-49, June.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen & Edward C. Prescott, 1994. "Equilibrium business cycles with idle resources and variable capacity utilization," Working Papers 94-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- de la Croix, David & Licandro, Omar, 1993. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty and Underemployment Equilibria," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994028, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Oct 1994.
- de la Croix, David & Fagnart, Jean-Francois, 1995. "Underemployment of production factors in a forward-looking model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 131-159, June.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Sneessens, Henri R., 1987. "Investment and the inflation-unemployment tradeoff in a macroeconomic rationing model with monopolistic competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 781-808, April.
- Franck PORTIER, 1995. "Business Formation and Cyclical Markups in the French Business Cycle," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 37-38, pages 411-440.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1996006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.