The timing of capacity expansions as barriers to mobility in the United Kingdom’s petroleum refining industry between 1948 and 1998
We try to determine whether capacity expansion timing in oligopoly among incumbents can be considered mobility deterring. We study the United Kingdom ´s petroleum refining industry between 1948 and 1998. Using tobit models, evidence is conclusive about accommodation among incumbents. We infer that excess capacity in this industry, instead of being a tool for strategic deterrence, has been the result of unexpected demand variability.
|Date of creation:||14 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lieberman, Marvin B, 1987. "Excess Capacity as a Barrier to Entry: An Empirical Appraisal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 607-27, June.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1979.
"The Role of Investment in Entry-Deterrence,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
140, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Singh, Satwinder & Utton, Michael & Waterson, Michael, 1998. "Strategic behaviour of incumbent firms in the UK," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 229-251, March.
- Koscianski, Janet & Mathis, Stephen, 1995. "Excess capacity and the probability of entry An application to the US titanium industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 43-51, March.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj, 1984. "Capacity Expansion in the Titanium Dioxide Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 145-63, December.
- Smiley, Robert, 1988. "Empirical evidence on strategic entry deterrence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 167-180.
- Masson, Robert T & Shaanan, Joseph, 1986. "Excess Capacity and Limit Pricing: An Empirical Test," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(211), pages 365-78, August.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Christopher, 1994. "Capacity and Competition: Empirical Evidence on UK Panel Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 23-44, March.
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.